PAL Muppet Season One - Also cut

gooball

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I didn't see this posted already... apologies if I missed it. I live in Australia and the Muppet Show season one was finally released here yesterday. I picked up my copy today, and unfortunately it seems to be cut in all the same places as the U.S. set.

I haven't gone through and checked everything, but all the cuts from the R1 release that I've checked are also cut here.

The disc is coded for regions two and four... so chances are the R2 will be identical. Also, someone recently posted the BBFC runtimes, which were all about 25 minutes. That led some to believe the set was uncut, but unfortunately that's not the case. In fact, some that were listed as 25min at the BBFC (if I recall correctly) are e.g. 22 mnutes on the set.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It still seems like a great set (good picture quality... not sure if it's from the PAL masters or is an NTSC conversion, though).

p.s. it has the original opening sequence, like the U.S. In fact, everything seems identical.

Beauregard

Reaction score
While on the one hand I'm thinking, "Aww, I'm sorry to hear that."

On the other I'm thinking, "Great, now I shan't have to by the R2 as well as the R1 which I already own."

:stick_out_tongue:

I do hope the next season isn't so hacked up though...

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thats bad news, but I spose we have to be grateful for any muppet releases here in Australia, chopped up or not.

muppetperson

Reaction score
gooball said:
Hey guys.

I didn't see this posted already... apologies if I missed it. I live in Australia and the Muppet Show season one was finally released here yesterday. I picked up my copy today, and unfortunately it seems to be cut in all the same places as the U.S. set.

I haven't gone through and checked everything, but all the cuts from the R1 release that I've checked are also cut here.

The disc is coded for regions two and four... so chances are the R2 will be identical. Also, someone recently posted the BBFC runtimes, which were all about 25 minutes. That led some to believe the set was uncut, but unfortunately that's not the case. In fact, some that were listed as 25min at the BBFC (if I recall correctly) are e.g. 22 mnutes on the set.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It still seems like a great set (good picture quality... not sure if it's from the PAL masters or is an NTSC conversion, though).

p.s. it has the original opening sequence, like the U.S. In fact, everything seems identical.
The cover is different, though.No Kermit collar.Features a picture of Kermit out front,with Miss Piggy and Fozzie in background.I wonder if the UK cover is different again?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
The cover isnt furry either like some of the US releases were. But that doesnt matter. Has anyone bought any of the other Australian releases? It would be great news if these are uncut.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
If the Australian release has the same cuts as the Region 1 DVD then it seems more likely the UK and the German prints will be cut too. :frown:

anathema

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
If the Australian release has the same cuts as the Region 1 DVD then it seems more likely the UK and the German prints will be cut too. :frown:
There is no reason why they should be. Music rights will have to be negotiated for each country the discs are to be released in. The BBFC runtimes will be correct - it would be illegal for them to be anything else - so cuts made for (eg) Australia have no bearing on the UK release.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
anathema said:
There is no reason why they should be. Music rights will have to be negotiated for each country the discs are to be released in. The BBFC runtimes will be correct - it would be illegal for them to be anything else - so cuts made for (eg) Australia have no bearing on the UK release.
Time will tell, 3 days to go from now for the UK release!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Looking forward to getting this on Monday. Getting concerned as some reviews and Ebay auctions for the UK sets claim it has 22 episodes??
I hope this isnt true.??

Muppet Xmas Carol be nice to get too. And two weeks before the USA release?!!? I'll be sure to post a thread about it on here!

Chris

anathema

Reaction score
Kermieuk said:
Looking forward to getting this on Monday. Getting concerned as some reviews and Ebay auctions for the UK sets claim it has 22 episodes??
I hope this isnt true.??
I think that's based on some inaccuarate information on Play.co.uk's website - for some reason they only list 22 shows.

Muppet Xmas Carol be nice to get too. And two weeks before the USA release?!!? I'll be sure to post a thread about it on here!

Chris
I'm not too sure about this one. A couple of online retailers are listing it as having an 85 minute running time, which is good as that's correct for the extended version of the film. However, noone's giving any information about whether it's widescreen or not - and there is no evidence that the film has been through the BBFC since 2002. In order to release a widescreen version of the film in the UK, Disney are legally obliged to have it classified, and since it's never been available in widescreen over here before, I would have expected to see it up on the BBFC website by now. Hopefully this is just a case of the BBFC not having updated their site recently :smile: