Part Puppet... Oscar/Bruno Costume

keithallison

Reaction score
For the longest time, I searched for images and logos and whatnot related to Bruno and Oscar the grouch:grouchy: because I wanted to do a Halloween costume. I created it last year and am just now getting around to posting a pic. reference material is not entirely easy to come by... but I think I did alright. I was in a time crunch so the Oscar puppet doesn't look 100%... but is functional with a human arm. the garbage can is brand new and painted to look crappy. I made everything including the hat... you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find a baseball cap that big! I can post other pics... but they'll take awhile, I'm busy working on my 'big puppet project'...
Bruno-Oscar Image

thanks for looking!

Keith

CoOKiE

Reaction score
wow!

i did the same thing.. however i used a rain jacket instead of making one or buying a denium one.

Really awsome.

I made mine so that i could operate Oscar's head and arm, as well as operate Bruno's mouth. In this pic it doesn't look like you allowed for Bruno to talk.

But yours bruno looks better then mine. I had never done something like this before and i thought it would be easy. the can was easier then making Bruno.

Did you make Oscar yourself? :grouchy:

keithallison

Reaction score
Hey Cookie... yes, I made oscar as well. I kow it's not close to the real oscar, but I think I made the entire costume in 4 days... including oscar. It got the point across, people knew that it was supposed to be oscar and nobody gave me grief over the eyebrows or anything!

My bruno isn't setup to talk... looking at pics, I couldn't figure out in time how the original was done, so I made it non-functional. wouldn't matter if I could, I found the costume to be very strenuous on my body, the way that I had to hold the can and work the mouth / arm... I know that if I spent more time on it, I could have made it easier / better... there's always this next Halloween!

btw... denim jacket... 3XL walmart, $12! I bought a second one at salvation army ($2.96) and cut it up to make the hat...

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey Keith! Good to "see" ya.

Looks great! Very nice likeness. It takes quite a lot to tackle a set-up like Bruno and Oscar. Looking forward to more...(ie. the "big puppet project") :smile:

zns

Reaction score
I wonder what Caroll Spinney would think of something like that. It looks good though. Great job. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bruno looks so close to the real thing, it's scary! I really would love to see Caroll's reaction to this!

keithallison

Reaction score
geez... thanks everyone! I'm thinking about making a video in the costume... maybe oscar singing 'I love trash' or something... not sure, but I don't want the costume to just sit and collect dust.

Gerbert

Reaction score
Please. Do That. Thanks. What's Your Youtube Username That Is If You Have An Youtube Account.
- Gerbert.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, great work! I really like that! You should get invited to participate in your town's parade or something with that.