Pattern Advice/Suggestions Please

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building two new puppets, but in a change from my usual construction, these characters will actually have some shape to their heads, and as I've said before, I'm just not as good at building puppets as I am performing them, so if anyone here feels like they may be able to give me some tips or pointers as to what I might be able to do as far as patterning the heads, please PM and we'll discuss it further; thanks.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously, could I get some help here please? I'd like to get started soon, but I'd like to have some ideas and suggestions as to what I should do with the construction.

cjspiteri

Reaction score
I guess the 100,000 repetitions or 10,000 hr rule could apply - practice. I have made 5 foam heads, the last one I butchered - found I liked the back of the head shape better than the front (round head pattern) so I cut a mouth into it. I am now trying to adjust the back. Point being - experiment. See what works. If it is frustrating you, take a break. Pick it up later and you will be fresh.

There are others here that have far more experience at this. Just my 1/2 cent.

:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, let me put it another way...

I don't need pointers on how to construct a foam head, I can do that, so long as it's the traditional, shapeless, egg-head pattern and such... what I'm asking is if any of our talented puppet builders here at MC would get in touch with me and so I can further discuss what I'm needing help with and see if they can show me what might be the best way to pattern a foam head that has shape to it, such as a protruding, turned-up little snoot.

Like I said, I'd like for someone to PM me so we can discuss it further, as I don't want to release too many details publically at this time.

Jinx

Reaction score
In a small way, the question is kind of like saying, "I have a concert to do next month and I'm hoping that someone here can teach me to play the saxophone by then." You simply cannot shortcut the learning process, nor the creative process. So much of it really is experimentation, even for those who have been doing it for years.

I recently took BJ Guyer's excellent online class on Foam Sculpting (his second course for the Stan Winston School of Character Arts), and he said often that you just have to get in and start doing it and seeing were it takes you and what you can do with it. He often starts working with nothing more than an idea, and not necessarily a technique.

If you're a serious student of learning to build puppets, you may get a few tips here, but asking for something more involved like this is less likely to pan out.

I have spent not only a lot of time, but a lot on money for materials. On top of that are the expenses of classes and books and DVDs to learn the skills. Quite honestly I don't feel like it is my place to give away the information that others are selling. I purchased it and so can you or anyone else who wants access to it.

I know it's been pointed out here before, but PlaySoup has an excellent DVD on puppet patterning for more than a basic round shape.

The Grey Seal book and videos on nip-and-tuck foam puppets are anything but plain round shapes.

The first two sessions of BJ Guyer's first live three-part webcourse from Stan Winston School of Character Arts are now available as on-demand videos, either online or on DVD. Part three should be coming in the next few weeks. The three parts constitute a 12-hour class on building a patterned foam muppet-style puppet!

I appreciate needing to work on a budget, but sometimes we just have to save our shekels to be able to afford to buy the resources we need.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know my question sounds ambiguous and doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, which is why what I'm asking is for someone here to PM so we can discuss it further.

Basically, I have a conceptual drawing of what that characters look like, I can show that, and I'd just like to get some opinions on what would be the best way to pattern the foam for the head. I'm not asking anyone to build the puppets for me, nor teach me how to build puppets (I've built puppets before, they're not great, but I've built them), I'm just asking for opinions and pointers is all.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Hi mate.. I dont inow if this will help but ive recently made a few puppets that have raised features, features that give shape and contours away from the normal smooth round or egg shape.

I basically start with a round head skull like any other puppet and extra foam in various shapes to create cheeks, chins, brows etc. then spray with glue and work the fleece over/around the features.

I know this one isnt refering to the head but the torso is the same principal..

Does that help? Or have i completly misunderstood your question :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, I actually get what you're saying, I've actually tried that technique before way back when the original versions of The Squirrely Squirrels (before I had them redesigned, because I wasn't entirely happy with their original designs); I confess while it does work, the results I ended up with were mediocre at best.

That's a possibility that I suppose I could give another try, though.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'd really recommend checking out the BJ Guyer courses from the Stan Winston school too, or as Jinx mentioned, the "Sketch to Show" DVD series from Playsoup. The first video in the series specifically deals with how to take an idea from a sketch to a pattern. It sounds like that's what you need.

One method you can try - which the Playsoup series explains in detail - is how to sculpt your character in clay, then make patterns from the 3D sculpt. An alternative to this if you're more comfortable designing on a computer would be to sculpt your head in Blender, Sculptris, Zbrush or similar software, 3D print it and then make the pattern from the 3D print.

There is a good tutorial explaining how to pattern from a 3D object at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324988.0;all

You can also try sculpting foam blocks.

I often pattern from sheet foam using a freeform approach, that is I don't necessarily have a specific design. Sometimes I will take the approach Muppetlab mentioned, using the wedge method to make a basic shape and then adding foam on top of that. Other times I just start making random foam shapes and see what develops. That's a very trial and error approach, but it often allows you discover things you never would have otherwise thought of.

I have a Pinterest Board with a lot of puppet building tips and tutorials. You might find some more useful information on there - http://www.pinterest.com/puppetvision/puppet-building-resources/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There is a good tutorial explaining how to pattern from a 3D object at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=324988.0;all
Matter of fact, it was only after I left my last post in this thread that I actually considered a similar approach like that.

I like all of the other suggestions you made, though they sound far too expensive and time-consuming for the no-budget project I'm working on (I don't even know where I'd find a 3D printer, lol).