Patterns

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
One of the most important things to keep in mind, especially if you're just starting, is that its okay to just build a test puppet first. I always do. Its just an exercise in getting to know the pattern and how to put it together. When a seamstress is doing a new, unfamiliar pattern she'll typically try it out using muslin or something similar so she gets to know how its supposed to go together before she starts cutting up the "good" fabric.

So, before you get all involved in trying to hit a home-run on your first time at the plate, take a few warm-up swings first. You'll be glad you did.

-Gordon
I have a question about this. Would you do it with somethng like muslin? I could understand that for working out the skin but is there a way to test using the pattern on the foam?

Melonpool

Reaction score
I would use something like a cheap fleece (like from Joann's). That way, it will have the same stretch as the real fabric, if not the same seam-hiding properties (although it does work pretty well if sewn properly).

You can usually pick up fleece for about $5/yard. You can make a puppet out of less than a yard. You may even find something usable in the remnant fabrics.

Goochman

Reaction score
I get their remnants all the time, usually just short of a yard and half price!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Okay I have another question. I'm trying to expand my puppet designs (so far I've been able to do mainly something that looks like someone from sesamea street kind of look) I was wondering if anyone had any patterns or any suggestions for making puppets that look more like a stuffed animal kinda of version? I know that people have shown that you can basically take a stuffed animal, unstuff it and then put your hand in it. But if I wanted to make my own does anyone have any pointers for where to start?

Goochman

Reaction score
Take a look at Julie's work at outoftheboxpuppets.com. She does some fantastic ones.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Thanks Goochman.

You guys should check out the newset Project Puppet sale. They're having a sale on Patterns, 15 percent off if you spend $50 and 25 percent off for $100 throug the end of May.
There was also something in their newsletter about getting a pattern made by Terry Angus, and a bunch of other stuff through the Puppetsmith website. But I can't seem to find details on the actually Project Puppet website.