"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
Demonizing CGI just goes so far before it becomes incoherent whining. There are bad cases of CGI... mainly Brazilian Pixar ripoff studios... It's not quite as cheap as everyone thinks it is. That is, if done right. Sometimes it is more cost effective on a movie in lieu of something that would be too complicated to accurately get with real live special effects.

I'm pretty sure the Peanuts rights holders and the Schulz estate are protective of their characters enough to veto any major design changes to the characters. I don't think the movie would have even gone forward if they even suggested it. We are talking about a franchise that cannot make any new TV specials unless they're directly pulled from the existing comics. they've shown some leniency with the Boom Peanuts comics, but it seems those are done with a vigilant eye. This isn't a matter of buying a license and throwing together a script before it runs out/using a pre-existing script for something generic and changing names. This looks like it's going to be one under a fine toothed comb.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
Demonizing CGI just goes so far before it becomes incoherent whining. There are bad cases of CGI... mainly Brazilian Pixar ripoff studios... It's not quite as cheap as everyone thinks it is. That is, if done right. Sometimes it is more cost effective on a movie in lieu of something that would be too complicated to accurately get with real live special effects.

I'm pretty sure the Peanuts rights holders and the Schulz estate are protective of their characters enough to veto any major design changes to the characters. I don't think the movie would have even gone forward if they even suggested it. We are talking about a franchise that cannot make any new TV specials unless they're directly pulled from the existing comics. they've shown some leniency with the Boom Peanuts comics, but it seems those are done with a vigilant eye. This isn't a matter of buying a license and throwing together a script before it runs out/using a pre-existing script for something generic and changing names. This looks like it's going to be one under a fine toothed comb.
I hope it's better that the Super Mario Bros. Movie and the Star Wars Christmas Special

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I hope this movie doesn't follow the typical "Rated PG for Rude Humor" trend that plagues many CGI family movies nowadays. Most likely it won't, because it's Peanuts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure the Schulz estate would flip if they did. On the one hand, I'm sure they're very involved with the traditional Peanuts "8 year olds that talk like they're in a Woody Allen movie" humor. if not, if this film is bad, they can always pull a Seuss estate and say "No" to any other movie plans.

I read somewhere (TV Tropes, I believe) that John Huges wanted to make a live action Peanuts movie in the early 90's. Shudder shudder. Even if this did have fart jokes in it, it's sure to be better than Charlie Brown now having a racist Asian friend.

robodog

Reaction score
If there is so much as one fart joke in my Snoopy movie I will personally hunt down those responsible and gut them like a fish. Peanuts is above that sort of crap.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Cartoon Brew put up some preview images of the new CGI Peanuts movie, and according to the article, we'll be seeing a teaser trailer soon enough. Going by my last post, the look Blue-Sky is going for has elements of both column A and column B (the latter only really in terms of sheer detail; I'm not sure if people ever wanted to see Charlie Brown with fully-rendered eyebrows). Here's a sample pic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks pretty much like I expected. Slightly better (in terms of design) than the Red Baron Video Game cutscenes. All while keeping true to the original design aspects. No "this is how Snoopy would look in real life" stuff like Scooby-Doo or Garfield. That's a plus.

The only question left is matter of script.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That animation is pretty special right there. They have a strange three way look between CGI, 2-D drawings, with a touch of stop-motion-esque. I really like that look.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Definitely looks a lot better than I thought it would. Has that right blend of CGI, stop motion, and traditional animation styles. :smile: