Pear shaped head pattern? Can you help??

Ray and Mia

Reaction score
I really need your help guys!

I'm looking to make a 'muppet-style' puppet with a pear shaped head! I just can't seem to wrap my mind around any shapes that can be cut and glued together to create a pear shape. Please can someone draw me a quick reference sketch or pattern that I can use, before I blindly cut my poly-foam up. I'm very scared to cut this expensive foam without a head pattern to go by.

My poly-foam in 1-inch thick, if this makes a difference ..or helps at all.

Please oh please!! 'Tis a *PEAR SHAPE* I need a pattern for! I just need a pattern for his head!!

All the various puppet building sites haven't this particular pattern, so please don't re-direct me to any sites. I'll be sure to post a pic up of my finished creature, hopefully he will be complete by the end of the week!

Thanks everyone, Mia :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You need to use a method of foam construction called "the wedge method". Basically, the way it works to make a ball you cut eight identical foam wedges (imagine the shape of an orange peel if it's sliced in to eight pieces). For a pear shape instead of a wedge that is even, it has to be wider at one end and narrower at the other.

This has been covered off in detail in past threads, if you do a search for it you should find more detailed info.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Buck is right, i think u may be expecting a little to much from your first Puppet , it takes a long time to develop pattern making skills, it cant be rushed,
one idea might be to buy a real (or fake pear), lay masking tape on it, (make sure its flat,no air bubbles),measure around the pear ,and dived it it into about 5 even sections, then carefully pull up the tape, cut out the individual sections,lay it on paper u may need to cut wedges into it so that it will lay flat on the paper , then enlarge it ata caopy store., then you can try and develop the puppet like aspects u want . ,