People Magazine review of "Muppet Xmas Movie"

murgatoad

Reaction score
Not a good one.

"Let the record show that the official title of this holiday offering is It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. But I can't call it very good. Most Muppet fare pleases all ages, with warm fuzzies and unadulterated silliness for kids plus some hip humor to keep grownups alert. This tale, unfortunately, is overloaded with showbiz in-jokes and gratuitous mentions of NBC shows. Miss Piggy hams in a hospital scene with the Scrubs cast. (She's not classy enough for ER?) Rizzo the Rat is served as a snack to a contestant on Fear Factor. Sure, Kermit the Frog terms that series "disgusting," but a plug's a plug.
Somewhere in all this there's a so-so homage to It's a Wonderful Life. Though Joan Cusack is too strident as a greedy banker plotting to evict producer Kermit and his troupe from their theater, David Arquette is funny as the requisite bumbling angel.

Bottom Line: Should be merrier "

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. This comes from a magazine that has turned into a glossy version of the National Inquirer. Honestly, have you seen their covers and headlines? After reading the EW review, I'm not too worried. Of course and NBC funded project will have plugs. Seems that these folks were somehow looking for Christmas on Sesame Street. Muppet Movies and specials have always had entertainment in-jokes. This is a case of rating a review. Some of the reasons they don't like the special is what I think will make it funny. Rizzo as a snack on Fear Factor? LOL! That is Muppety humor to me. :wink: I give this People Mag review a D-

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I stopped paying attention to reviews from magazines anyway.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I stopped paying attention to reviews from that magazine, at any rate. Honestly, how many people aren't going to watch a movie just because "People Magazine said it was bad"?

-Kim

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
I stopped paying attention to reviews from that magazine, at any rate. Honestly, how many people aren't going to watch a movie just because "People Magazine said it was bad"?

-Kim
Really! Makes you wonder why TV producers submit their shows to these magazines for review. :wink:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I only subscribe to PEOPLE for the articles and photos, "not" the reviews.
Their reviewers are not as bad as the San Jose Mercury (The WORST critics, hands down) or ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY. But they're pretty **** close (Have you noticed that EW seems to give the most "consistently great" ratings to re-issued albums & Jazz records? Just found that interesting... ).

And With commercials, the film'll be roughly an hour & a half. I'm sure there'll be plenty to please the younger set.