Pepe's Mouth and Head Operation

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
I've been pondering this for quite some time now. I'm still wondering how pepe's mouth works. Most diagrams I've seen of a puppet like this show a string attached to the end of the bottom jaw, running to a lever that you push down. The string coming from the bottom of the jaw sticks out. I don't see how this would work, considering Pepe's bottom jaw is flat all the way to his neck and there's no visible string. They must hide it somehow but I don't see how they can. Can you guys understand what I'm saying, or am I talking gibberish?
Also, Pepe's head can pivot up and down. This would have to be rigged with some kind of seperate mechainism. My guess would be that the head would have a fixed fulcrum towards the frontside of it, and a string pulls on the backside making the head look up. But still, there would have to be some kind of spring mechainism to pull it back down.
I wish there was some kind of diagram I could see. I've looked over the Nick Barone diagrams and the ventriloquist diagrams and they don't really explain how to get the head to move. Does anyone have a good diagram of this kind of puppet?

Thanks bunches,
puppetpackpepe

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
After much work, I've devised a diagram for Pepe. I sort of based it off of one of Nick Barone's, but I added some stuff to it. Here it is. Check it out and see if you think it would work. I wish there was another way i could do the lever for the mouth.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
after looking at your diagram , all i can say is that you have the angle of the neck wrong, as for how it works exactly it is more complictaed than what you drew, but i unfortunetly am not very mechanicly capable.
but basicly if u look at pepe's head , thier is no string under his jaw that you can see, it is all internal, as for his neck, it has a handle that you can push and pull into place that opperates the up and down, its not done with a simple pull string

good luck with it,

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
Well, here's my other diagram. I feel like this one would work. The only thing this one would do would be to move the mouth. I guess I could figure out how to move the head later. Do you think this would work?

http://www.geocities.com/kokonutoad/diagram2323.bmp
You may have to copy and paste this link. I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Cody

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
One wonderful day I was able to hold and manipulate Pepe. I am not clear on how it works exactly but I can tell you that it is a string with what felt like a washer at the end. Or like the ring on a windowshade, but it was attached to a string. It is NOT a lever (at least on the one I held).

I was told that when Pepe is being performed they always have to have two puppets on hand as when Bill's hand gets a little sweaty, the ring has a habit of slipping off and then it shoots to the top of the puppet and gets stuck.

Grant
www.DoctorFloyd.com

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
the mouth is a neck on a string ( iwas just trying to say that it is not visible to the naked eye, since it is on the inside of the puppet), for sure , but the neck movements are controlled slightly differently, i wish i could remember how, but i never worked on Pe Pe much, i belive Eric, the builder who fisrt built him, used a modified "PUNCHING NUN mech."to make it lift and lower, but its been a few years since i held him

practicecactus

Reaction score
okay, I know you may not want to ruin the 'muppet magic' , but what's that thing sticking out Pepe's side do?
What does Bill's left hand control?
here

Blink

Reaction score
practicecactus said:
okay, I know you may not want to ruin the 'muppet magic' , but what's that thing sticking out Pepe's side do?
What does Bill's left hand control?
here
I haven't handled the Pepe puppet before, but from the way his hand is positioned it would appear that he is controlling arm rods. They are probably a little shorter because of the size of the puppet. That is just a guess. Like I said I haven't seen the puppet up close.