performing the Two-Headed Monster

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have been wondering something about the Two-headed Monster. I know that one performer performs the right head, and another performs the left head, but for the performer that performs the right head, how is the right hand operated? Does the performer of the right half perform the head with his left hand, and his right hand for the right hand? Does he perform the head with his right hand, and the monsters right hand with his left hand? Or is there a third performer who operates the right hand?

Are there any behind-the-sceens pictures or footage available that shows how the monster is usually performed? I am sure that for crowd scenes the monster is probably performed by just one person, using both hands for the heads.

Tim

Reaction score
Poor right-handed Jerry Nelson. He had to perform his half of the Two-Headed-Monster "lefty", that is, with his left hand working the mouth, and his right the monster's hand. Fortunately, he's such a great performer he was more than able to pull it off, but you can still tell the work isn't as pretty as we are use dto seeing from him. Richard Hunt at that time had less on-camera experience of the two, so they let him perform his half the easier way.

BTW Frank Oz had to perform Fozzie "lefty" in the hot-air balloon credit roll of "Muppet Caper". That's most noticable when he pulls the rope to start the movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tim said:
Poor right-handed Jerry Nelson. He had to perform his half of the Two-Headed-Monster "lefty", that is, with his left hand working the mouth, and his right the monster's hand. Fortunately, he's such a great performer he was more than able to pull it off, but you can still tell the work isn't as pretty as we are use dto seeing from him. Richard Hunt at that time had less on-camera experience of the two, so they let him perform his half the easier way.

BTW Frank Oz had to perform Fozzie "lefty" in the hot-air balloon credit roll of "Muppet Caper". That's most noticable when he pulls the rope to start the movie.
I have noticed a few other times whe it looks like performers were performing with their left hands....

cIn The Muppet valentine Show, when Kermit reported on the planet Koozebane, he held his microphone with his right hand, so Jim Henson must have perfrmed him with his left hand.

I have read that Caroll Spinney originally had to perform Oscar with his left hand when Oscar was in his trash can during the first season.

And in the Muppet Show episode with John Cleese, there are two instances where Muppets are performed with the performers left hand (unless either Louise Gold, who is left handed, was actually performing while the performers just performed the voices, or unless the performers were using their left hands to operate the characters right hands):

*During Gonzo's cannonbnall catching act, he catches the cannonball with his right hand, while his left hand is attached to his waiste for most of the act.

*Dring the UK spot, Kermit moves his right hand a lot, while his left hand just stays there.

BEAR

Reaction score
I never really thought about the way they performed the Two Headed Monster, but I guess that explains why Jerry's half always looked a little more awkward than normal.