1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Pics of my Homemade Muppets

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by BorkBork, Jun 1, 2002.

1. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Okay, i promised some pics of my beaker. He's not a puppet, more of a doll, or a model of beaker :)

Here he is

Beaker 1 Beaker 2 Beaker 3

I am also making a sam eagle puppet/doll, and here's the head from that, made today:

Sam 1 Sam 2 Sam 3 Sam 4

These are my very first puppets. So maybe they are not so perfect, but i will practice to get more skills. I will make another sam as soon as i have finished this one. Then i will be more exact :)

Hope ya like 'em

/Anders
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Really good job!
  3. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

Couldn't see Beeker-- kept getting 'server not found' errors-- but Sam looks great! Very impressive for a first try (actually, it would be impressive if it weren't your first try).

Did you sculpt from a big piece of foam or use long thinner pieces to form the shape? How is the mouth movement?

Good job! Hope you show us pictures when you get the body done....
  4. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

I'm having the same problem as Muppet Quilter. I really like how Sam looks and can't wait to see him with a torso.
  5. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

I am glad you like'em. If you can't see beaker, right-click and choose properties. Cut and paste the url into a new browser.

Sam is made by, just as beaker, sleeping pads. You know the thin matresses you have with you when you are camping. Its easy to make a tube-puppet out of that. It's also easy to make shapes as the beak with it.
    Mouth movement...hmm big problem for me. There wasn't fleece enough to make the lower jaw thick enough to stick your fingers into it. Maybe there should be a mechaninsm for that.

Also, when i folded the fleece over to the inside of the mouth (lower jaw), it got very wrinkeled. It actually looks very ugly inside his mouth, so i'm thinking of closing his mouth with glue, and just make a sculpture/model of sam.

He also has some other flaws. His top of the head, i made as a hat. The seems was meant to go under the "hat", so you wouldnt see them. But they go on the outside of the puppet. I hope you get what i mean.

But, as i said, it's my first try, and i think it was *kind of* easy to make him THAT alike, so with a little more practise i hope to make an almost perfect replica. You just neet a little imagination, to solve some of the problems.

I also tried to make a kermit a cuple of months ago. But he is harder than you might think. I had the same problem there, with the folding of the fleece in his mouth. If anyone knows how i can get by this problem, please tell me. Is it covered in the foam book? I orderd that some days ago, so i'm looking forward to reading it.

/Anders
  6. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Nope, just something in Swedish telling me that they weren't there. But I did see them yesterday. What characters are you thinking of doing next?
  8. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

first i am thinking of getting sam complete.
    Then i *really* want a try on Fozzie, maybe scooter after that :)

Who knows, maybe i do the whole muppet cast, haha.
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Good choices. That Fozzie fur may proove to be tricky. I'd like to see your solution to that. You do some really good work. Is Gonzo ever a possibility. He's probably the toughest Muppet to draw correctly, he'd make a challenging puppet too.
  10. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

You, know, i forgot to mention that i want to make a gonzo puppet.

You might think that he's really hard to make because of his nose. Well, when i make a gonzo i have a plan, hehe.

I will make his nose straight. Yup, you read right. Anmd then i will put a steel wire inside it, and bend it. Clever, right, hehe :)

It will be really cool to see if i manage to do it. I will not settle until i have tried, lol.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's the spirit. I am anxious to see it. I wish I had puppet building skills. That's next on the list after I complete my portfolio, job hunt and various website projects (including MC - a lot more work than I thought, but great stuff). I am joining the Bay Area Puppet Guild so I'm sure to have some great people giving me tips! A big quetion about your Gonzo is what he will be wearing! Purple suit or sweater?
  12. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

well, i haven't really planned how i will make gonzo yet, and not his clothes either :)

First i will make a proper sam, then i will probably do fozzie and/or scooter.

Baby steps
    -Baby steps

:)
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Yeah, that's me - I tend to work on everything at once! "Baby steps" - good idea. Bobo would approve. LOL! If it accounts for anything, i've always favored Gonzo's purple suit. Sam looks totally awesome. What will you use for his featers and the feathered fur on his head (ostrich feathers)?
  14. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

his feather-like hair on his head will be one big feather. I saw some that looked just like the ones they use for him. I don't think it is ostrich.

The feathers on his body...well, just normal fethers that you buy in a crafts supply shop :)
  15. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations Anders! You just posted the 6000th post on our new forum. :)

I'm really impressed with the job you did on Sam, especially his beak.
  16. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

WOW!!!! 6000! Do i win a prize now? Like millions of dollars??? Cool!!! :)

I'm very happy that you think i did a good job. But i know that i can do better in time. but i am very satisfied with it, since it's the first try :)
  17. Phillip

Anders,

I fixed the Beaker links for you in your first post.
  18. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

I'm still getting nothing.
  19. Phillip

Yeah, the links worked on Saturday then didn't work after that. They were updated today and were working, but now they're not again.
  20. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

About the fabric bunching you are getting in Sam's beak (and I think you mentioned another place). I would suggest sewing the fleece. Cut out two pieces larger than the beak. Take some darts to allow the fabric to take on the shape of the beak. Then sew the two pieces together on the outside edges (leave the back part-- the part that will attach to Sam's face-- open so that you can insert the beak). You want to sew with the right sides of the fabric together so that the seams don't show. Turn it right side out and slide it on the beak. You might have to play with it a little to get the sizing just right. When you are happy with it, tuck the raw edges in and glue it in place.

If you don't know how to do the sewing, ask someone who makes clothing. It is pretty simply sewing and anyone with a little experience ought to be able to show you how to make darts so you get the right shape.

Hope that helps.