Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Skye said:
Aww Marty, at first I was thinking it would be kinda sad if the last lady piggy had tears in her eyes as she was climbing, but I do like the idea of them drying up really quick when she doesn't fall off when she's expecting to.
Absolutely, that would be interesting if the lady piggies were more hysterical during that "Watch your step" part... now that you mention it, the male piggies sure did seem rather calm during that part, didn't they! Haha, I never noticed that before. Anyway, you're also right that they'd definitely need to calm down as they go through the verse because... you gotta really belt out the "Valderi,...." part! But that would be totally cool, too. And just be more dramatic throughout all of it... the first lady pig to fall could really be looking down the mountain, seeming even more nervous than our little guy pig did, the last pig could totally be belting the song out when she didn't fall and seeming even more ecstatic and like she could just be jumping up and down (not actually jumping though, obviously! :wink:), right before the boulder comes... all that kind of stuff.
I have some other ideas in addition to what I had before and what Caroline added in this reply I've quoted which I'll share soon.

But I thought I'd share as a by the way that I think perhaps part of my inspiration for my idea may have been the novelty of the phrase "Watch your step" involving females. I've told Caroline before that whenever I come across it in books and television it's usually in the context of males saying it to each other. It's very seldom you see female characters saying it too each other and the sheer novelty may have inspired me.
Then Caroline said she thinks it's probably the same in real life as well. Most women seem more inclined to say "Be careful" to other women when looking out for each other's safety and I found that really intriguing indeed.:wink:

Skye

Reaction score
Cool... I can't wait to see what you do share later on!

You know, I remember when you first brought that up, and I thought it was a really interesting point, too. I just want to say, that specific difference is very odd when you think about it! And, at least in my experience, it's very true, too.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Having watched the clip again I think the female version would work with like you said Caroline, the one on the end looking down the mountain even more during the first verse seeming even more nervous than the one in the male version. She should be looking down almost straight from the beginning and turn towards the camera in the middle of the verse scrunching her snout like her male counterpart, but then instead of climbing up further she should look down again for the rest of the first verse. Then she could pull herself up closer to her companions as she belts out her Val-de-ri with gusto and from then on her expressions until she falls should be the same as the male piggy.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The reactions of the other ladies should basically be the same, but to make it a bit more hysterical I think they should look at each other and replace the "Uh oh" with an "Oh dear" instead. I'm sure if they said that it would sound far more distraught than "Uh oh".
And the leader lady should do her quick glance at the camera and turn to her companion extremely quickly saying "Ooohh. Watch your step".
And the middle lady should reply in an anxious sort of voice "I will! I will!"
And as they calm themselves as best they can preparing to climb further they can slowly relax as they proceed with care singing the second verse.

Sounds more dramatical as would befit females so far doesn't it? :wink:

Skye

Reaction score
Yay for over 700 posts!!!!! :excited: That's so awesome! We're doing so great!

That's a really good idea for what the lady piggy on the end could do. Her looking down so much and maybe trembling a little bit throughout could really show off how nervous she is. I think the male nervous piggy trembled a little bit too (am I right on that?) but she could obviously do it a little more and a little longer throughout the verse. I really like the idea of her taking the time to look towards the camera, too. And then she could ease up on the trembling a little bit as they get closer and closer to the chorus. And then of course, she does belt out the Valderi with gusto, hehe, because... how could ya not? :big_grin: That sounds great!

Heh, the other lady piggies saying "Oh dear" could be very cute, and very funny, especially if they said it just right with the perfect inflection and everything! That would be awesome. Hehe, and I really like the leader lady piggy with her "Ooohh. Watch your step," and the middle lady piggy with her "I will! I will!" That is very cute! And it's definitely perfect to have them relax a little bit as they climb further, just as the male piggies did until the middle lady piggy falls. It sounds great! And the more dramatical version here certainly does work perfectly for the ladies! :big_grin: I love it so far!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Thanks Caroline.

And I like what you said to me awhile ago that muppet females may be the exception to the norm. :wink:
I'm sure you agree with me that if the lady piggies didn't specifically use the "Watch your step" line in place of simply "Be careful" it wouldn't sound anywhere near as funny, would it? :big_grin:

Skye

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. "Be careful" is so... common and normal, I guess. I don't know if that's the right word, but you say it and hear it often. And it's great advice, definitely, but "Watch your step" doesn't come up as often, and it just sounds more fun in the sketch, hehe. And the Muppets are certainly not common or normal... so that sure doesn't work for them, either! :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes to think about them specifically trying to watch where they are putting their feet on the mountain certainly does add to the humour of it eh? :big_grin: