Pinching or Clamping?

Iokitek

Reaction score
Hey all,

I decided to give the Blue Boy pattern a try. I got some foam and fabric, everything I need. I just had a question about the glue. I got some contact cement and according to the instructions I need to let it dry abit first and then put the pieces together and clamp or pinch them tightly.

I don't really have any clamps wich would be suitable. So would pinching by hand be sufficient? Like Andrew (Buck) explains in his Tumbles P. Bear project? I'm going on a short vacation Monday and I would like to work on it during bad weather. So if I need some clamps I'll need to get them before I leave.

Thanks for the help.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
when working with contact cement and foam , its interely different that dealing with wood or other materials that the glue is meant for,

use it sparingly, lightly dapping the glue on the edge of the foam, , do this to both surfaces, and let it get tacky, you can speed this by using a hair dryer on a warm setting, when both surfaces are tacky , put them togother, but not so firmly that it cause the foam to pinch and create a rough seem.

NO CLAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Clamping is very, very, very bad with foam. By "pinching" I mean lightly pressing the foam together. Don't do it too hard!!

Iokitek

Reaction score
I think I get the picture :smile: Thanks guys!

Whatever

Reaction score
*snickers* The title of the thread, out of context, could be soooo bad.
I suggest that someone change it to "Glueing techniques" or something.

Iokitek

Reaction score
hehe :stick_out_tongue: I didn't realize that actually. But then again this is still a puppetry forum so I don't think many people will missunderstand. And those who know me should know better aswell. I'm a descent guy.

:rolleyes:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BE SURE that once you print out that pattern that you go get it ENLARGED several times at a local copy center! Otherwise, it's WAY too small!! You'll also want to do something different with the hands, otherwise you end up with nubs.

Iokitek

Reaction score
hehe :stick_out_tongue: I noticed that aswell. Well anway I'm off now. Until later then! And thank you all for the tips.