1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Pink Animal's Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Beauregard, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Its the invasion of the Muppet bags, lunch-boxes, notebooks, pencils, stationary packs, etc, over here in the UK in all the Back-to-School type stores.

...so...why exactly is it almost all entirely PINK? And not even Pinkly represented by Miss Piggy, but pinkly represented by...Animal the rock star?

Here's one of the only things I thought I could conceivably carry around with me without seeing just a little too pink even for my taste...and even this "Want Food" slogon doesn't exactly match Animal's rock and roll image in my opinion.

[IMG]

Wondering if there will be a pink-10-yearold-school-girl-ish Ozzy Ozbourne bag next...

Beau:zany:{Animal Cadabby?}regard
    Cindy and bandit like this.
  2. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Awww, I really want that lunchbox!!! :flirt:
  3. Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

4. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

5. Hubert Well-Known Member

Make Lightning McQueen pink.

See my point? They'd never do that. It goes to show how Disney is prioritizing certain brands of theirs much more than others...their other red characters would never be caught with a shade of pink, yet it's acceptable with Animal...
    galagr and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  6. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Well that stinks....
  7. rowlfy662 Active Member

i never understood why businesses like Disney even palisades did it with their first animal figure always make him pink i mean their is pink in his fur but mostly red also the orange nose i thought animals nose was red not orange
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Like these do?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Pink Animal's blame lays in something called a "Style Guide."

Now, I've been saying how style guides are crap for a while. There's something to be said about uniformity and consistency in merchandise. But there's also something to be said about rigid constraints of using the same stock images as if they were law. Usually these look nothing like what they're supposed to represent (especially with cartoon merchandise, when cartoon character designs tend to evolve as long as a series is on, and the designs used in the style guide are usually the first things designed). And most of the time, that includes wrong colorings.

Now, we've had Pink Animal for as long as I can remember. Same reason we have light blue Cookie Monster, and different shades of Kermit. It just sort of looks better that way in merchandise.
    dwmckim likes this.
  9. Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

OBJECTION! Pink is very rock! Pink is like the official color of punk rock! Do not tell me that pink does not go with the rock image!

Animal himself should not be pink though. He is not pink...
    MissMusical12 likes this.
  10. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

True dat.
  11. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

And all this time I thought Floyd was pink. Get it? Floyd? Pink?
    You see...Pink Floyd...Floyd Pepper... oh forget it.
    Muppet fan 123 and MissMusical12 like this.
  12. dwmckim Well-Known Member

I would LOVE it if someone presented the real Animal with the merchandise versions of him and watch his freaked-out reaction!
  13. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

ANIMAL NOT PINK! ANIMAL RED!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  14. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Although if you factor in Animal's bunny-lovin', he may find his pink merchandise to be ADORABLE!
  15. mo Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all those british girls with those animal....LUNCH BOXES!
    casual fans with MUPPET LUNCH BOXES???!!!! grrrrrr......it's almost been a year since 'the best september ever' and only a week left of school......I gotta buy up those up!
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually

ANIMAL LAYERED WITH DIFFERENT SHADES OF BOTH, WHILE LIGHT REFLECTS VARIATIONS IN THE MANY STRANDS OF HAIR USED ON THE PUPPET!

Much like Gonzo's nose always being blue. It's some weird color that can't be described because the light refracts on the material and causes weird color highlights. green, purple, yellow.. it all shows up.
    jvcarroll, HeyButtahfly, mo and 2 others like this.
  17. dwmckim Well-Known Member

I imagine Animal's reaction would either be:

a) similar to his reaction to finding Piggy on the phone in MFC..."Oh...pink..."

b) running away screaming

c) crying

d) just staring at them jaw wide open and just frozen in bewilderment

e) striking them with his drumsticks because he thinks they're Muppaphones
    mo likes this.
  18. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Animal has been represented as pink in products since the days of Jim Henson. It's not a Disney decision, it was not a Palisades decision. He's been Pantone 226 for quite some time.
    [IMG]
    The puppet did seem to skew red for most of the Muppet Show, but later projects revealed that his fur was primarily comprised of deep magenta strands among other colors.
    [IMG]
    It really all depends upon the lighting. I wish they'd mix a little more red into the PMS assignation, but he's even a hotter pink in animated forms so maybe we've lucked out.
    [IMG]
    Animal isn't really red. Or at least he hasn't been in over 30 years. He just seems that way for various reasons and I agree that the products should better reflect that.
    Drtooth and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically what I said, but more eloquently. And with examples.

I really liked the coloring on the Palisades figure. It was a much duller magenta that suits the puppet a little better. And they managed to remember those Orange strands of hair around his eyes, too. Quite a bit of the merchandise forgets that. Personally, I was never fond of the fact that the white feathery tuft in between Big Bird's Eyes...

[IMG]

Is never present in any of his merchandise.

My main problem with Animal merchandise is the plush...

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The Pom Pom effect. Shaggy magenta Animal becomes pink lollipop head so fast...

and again...

That's the same problem I have with most Cookie Monster plush...

[IMG]

Who's also always a lighter and brighter shade of blue in merchandise than the actual puppet

[IMG]
    jvcarroll likes this.
  20. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

It bothers me when any Muppet looks weird as a plush since the characters actually exist in that native puppet form. :rolleyes:
    mo and galagr like this.