Pixar Dumps Disney

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Good for Pixar. They're now respected enough to where they don't need Disney behind them. The way Pixar makes each movie so intricate is why they have continual success, and it's going to be a slight war now to see who gets to support Pixar (as who doesn't want their name behind such a great company?)

But I don't doubt Disney will be hammering for a sequel, claiming it's all 'under contract'

Beebers

Reaction score
I haven't read the article yet but I will. Good for them. I hope they remain independent. They are brilliant and should not be under the thumbs of a bunch of suits. They've got enough steam now to stay on their own. Excellent news.

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Pixar dumps Disney

Studio headed by Steve Jobs says it will seek other distributors for its films starting in 2006.
January 30, 2004: 9:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Pixar Animation Studios Inc. said Thursday it ended talks with Walt Disney Co. to extend a five-picture deal for Disney to distribute Pixar films.

Pixar CEO Steve Jobs, whose studio has been a runaway success.
Pixar, the computer animation pioneer founded by Apple Computer Inc.'s Steve Jobs, said it would begin talks with other companies to distribute its films starting in 2006.

"After ten months of trying to strike a deal with Disney, we're moving on," Pixar CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement. "We've had a great run together -- one of the most successful in Hollywood history -- and it's a shame that Disney won't be participating in Pixar's future successes."

The move was a clear setback to Disney, which reaped a financial and critical bonanza from the partnership and has struggled with its own strategy for animation.

Disney said Pixar's final offer would have cost Disney hundreds of millions of dollars from the existing distribution deal and was not sweet enough going forward.

"Although we would have enjoyed continuing our successful collaboration under mutually acceptable terms, Pixar understandably has chosen to go its own way to grow as an independent company," Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner said in a statement.

Pixar stock rose initially in after-hours trading but later fell back, while Disney stock tumbled about 6 percent.

Other studios are already expressing interest in forging a relationship with Pixar. A Warner Bros. spokesperson told CNN, "We would love to be in business with Pixar. They are a great company." Warner Bros. has not yet engaged in formal talks with the animator.

Pixar said its five films so far -- including "Toy Story", "Monsters Inc." and "Finding Nemo" -- have taken in $2.5 billion at the worldwide box office and sold more than 150 million DVDs and videos. "Finding Nemo" was the highest grossing animated film of all time.

Pixar had complained that the terms of the distribution deal were tilted too heavily in Disney's favor. Under the deal, Pixar was responsible for content, while Disney handled distribution and marketing.

In exchange, Pixar has split profits with Disney and pays the studio a distribution fee of between 10 percent to 15 percent of revenue. Based on its blockbuster success, Pixar has argued that it should keep the profit itself and cut the fees its studio partner charges.

Many observers had expected Pixar and Disney to keep talking at least until the middle of this year and to eventually reach a deal since both had gained so much from their partnership.

"It makes it look like Eisner did something wrong again, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions. This could be a negotiating tactic by Pixar as well," Patrick McKeigue, an analyst at Independence Investment, which holds Disney shares, told Reuters.

Roy Disney and ally Stanley Gold, who both resigned from the Disney board late last year and called for Eisner to step down, placed the blame squarely on the Disney CEO.

"More than a year ago, we warned the Disney board that we believed Michael Eisner was mismanaging the Pixar partnership and expressed our concern that the relationship was in jeopardy," they said in a statement issued late Thursday.

Disney noted in its statement that it owns rights to all the Pixar movies, as well as two more animated features yet to be delivered -- "The Incredibles" due this year and "Cars", expected in 2005.

Disney will distribute those two films with Pixar getting its share of the profits. Disney also has the right to finance and produce sequels if Pixar declines to co-finance and produce them under the current agreement, Pixar said.
-------------------
I like to post the article for ease of reading; the article is accompanied by a photo of Steve Jobs. Foz

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, one other thing:

Disney also has the right to finance and produce sequels if Pixar declines to co-finance and produce them under the current agreement, Pixar said.
And the way those Disney creeps behave with their uncreativity, you can almost bet that they are going to be doing sequel after sequel after sequel...

Anybody remember when the name "Disney" meant quality and entertainment? Oh, the days of yore!

Phantom

Reaction score
preachin' to the choir, Foz-meister...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beaten to the punch!

Anyway, I am not a Disney fan, but all I can say is it's a big loss for both companies..... Dis has been batting zero with all of their non-Pixar animated films (with the exception of Lilo and Stitch) and this was their only reliable source of good movies. Plus, Disney was the Muscle that helped push Pixar into the mainstream.

Personally, I did enjoy Brother bear and Teacher's Pet, however. But Now they're going to have inhouse CGI animated films.... MEANING we're going to have another Dinosaur like crap fest. I saw scenes from a CGI Mickey Mouse Christmas movie... I'm not even going to dignify that with a response! :eek:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I remember asking someone at Dizzy once about Mickey and Co. going to puppet form for a movie, or something like that. They said it was the integrity of the Disney characters to be animated in the classic style.

I guess they got tired of that, and all other, entertainment integrity of their properties.

I think Pixar did get a push from Disney in the beginning, but Disney will only hold them back if they continue that deal. As long as Eisner, the Cheese Executive Officer, is in power Disney doesn't stand a chance, and I've said that since the early 90's when I worked at The Disney Store.

However, I do still have an autographed photo of Eisner.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm kind of conflicted about this. I adore Pixar--I've always felt as if each one of their movies was made just for me, and I bet a lot of people feel the same. It's amazing the way they can connect with people on such a personal level.

At the same time, I have a lot of affection for Disney. Despite the problems they've had recently, I've been hoping for the best with them. I've actually been glad that Pixar has been there to give them such reliable and well-respected hits.

Maybe this could be a good thing for both companies, though. Maybe Pixar can strike out on their own and grow, and Disney might take this as the kick in the pants they need to revitalize their own creativity. I hope so...