Plasti Dip

Solaris

Reaction score
i've been checking up on Plasti Dip, but it only comes in about six colors. i was wondering, can i add color to the white plasti dip to create a custom colored plasti dip?

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I think people paint it after it dries. That way your whole can isn't one color. Just another guess...

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Plasti Dip contains Naphtha which means it is an oil based product. If you go to a paint store ask them for colourant they use to dye high end oil stains and industrial grade paints they may give you some. Some paint stores won't give it out because it is not only is it classified as a hazardous material; they don't want people using what they give you do dye your own paint and something screwing up and them being blamed. Usually if you tell them what it is for they will give it to you. Just to let you know...make certain they put some in a can not a styrofoam cup- the colourant eats through synthetics and you'll end up wearing it home LOL Also when dealing with this stuff be very cautious- I use to work at a paint store and when pouring that stuff we had to wear a vapour mask, coveralls, and rubber gloves- the cans all have crossbones and the new cans say in big writing- CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN CANCER CAUSING AGENTS
When dealing with this material I would recommend being cautious as well. Another tip is that the colourant is very strong- one 1/2 drop of it can change a colour- so when adding it to the dip pour some plasti into a can and then add (one drip at a time) the colourant. I assure you a drop will change it and fast. Hope this helps. Oh by the way we spell colour with a U up here in Canada so to us it's not spelled wrong LOL let me know if this helps you out.

PS- You'll notice the colourant has the exact same smell as the Plasti-dip too....weird...

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I too don't know how the plasti dip will dry- and, like Gordon- I to will claim absolutely NO responsibility for this advice...just the credit if it works LOL

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
My fiance (after she read my posts) says I must clarify something to you- there are two different colourants they use to dye paints- one is a hybrid colourant they use for both oil and latex (usually used for commercial paints) and another colourant they use for industrial products (High end epoxy or industrial machine coatings). You want to use the industrial one. At Glidden Paints or Colour Your World (paint store chains here in Canada) use the industrial colourant to dye a product called DEVOE, high performance coatings:
http://www.devoecoatings.com/specification.do

If you ask for that colourant the sales people should know what you are talking about- if they don't then they are new, and should be shunned LOL
PS- If you get this stuff on your skin it will stay there for about a week- no kidding. If you get it on a rug, or clothes, or your puppets it is there to stay. So make certain you are wearing your Sunday best when dealing with this stuff...kidding...if you are using it for a nose make certain it is totally dry before attaching it.