Plaza Sesamo

Drtooth

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Mexican version of Sesame Street? I have. It used to be on PBS. My local carrier, PBS 44 had a special Spanish block from 10:30-12:00 featuring Plaza Sesamo as well as redubbed Dragontales and Clifford the Big Red Dog (I got a kick out of Cliff's Spanish theme song, "Viva Clifford, El Perro Gigante!"). They don't anymore, but for about a year, every morning before I left for an afternoon college class, I'd watch the show. There were different characters (that's to be expected) Including Abelardo Montoya (forgive the spelling) The green large parakeet version of Big Bird, Lola, a little girl monster, and Pancho, a blue male monster (kind of like, but not the same as, Herry) who loves onions. There were more characters, including a muppet monster who can only say things like Blooby, a pilot obsessed with his plane (a pretty annoying character) and even an Italian chef (you haven't lived till you heard broken Italian in Spanish!) There is also, according to The Sesame World site (look for Warrick, it's his site, he's got the link) a grouch, not unlike our own. Unfortunately, he was no were to be found. Like our Sherlock Hemlock, or our Don Music, he must've been dropped or eased out of the show. If you have any other info, feel free to post it!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Toothy,

Hey,
I have some videos of Plaza Sesamo they only have Abelardo, Lola and Pancho on them.

I have heard of the Elephant and the Pilot, but not the Italian Chef.
Maybe he is one of the Swedish Chef's cousins ?!

I didnt know that they had regualr spots on the show either, Or full personalities !

Can you tell me some more about those Muppets ?

Thanks !

See ya

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Toothy,

Hey,

I forgot to tell ya !

Plaza Sesamo can still be seen at 8am on the Univision channel on Saturday and Sundays.

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah! The Italian Chef is on a couple-a episodes. Unfortunately, he is just an orange "Anything Muppet" with a small blue nose. He looks like what an incidental character looks like to us. One thing about Plaza Sesamo, their
Muppets (even though the Jim Henson Workshop builds them) aren't as good looking as ours.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Toothy,

Hey,
Yeah thats right the Muppet Wokshop builds nearly all of the Foreign Muppets for the Sesame Co Productions.

i think Abelardo, Panch and Lola look great.
If your refering to the AM's that they use for the Pilot, Chef and anyone else, Its probably because they put those together in Mexico.

Henson send them the Puppet and eyes, noses, mouths, hair and then the Mexican Production team put together the puppet they need, So they might seem a bit less Muppety!

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes! Obviously, they do not know about the secret triangle. It is a special secret to building the muppets, and only Muppet Building experts know about it!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hey,

Yeah only Muppet Builder experts and every Muppet Fan...

LOL!

See ya