Please help with story ideas!

BEAR

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently taking a Creative Writing course in school and part of the class is writing 2 original short stories. I am coming up on having to start the first one but I am not really sure what to write about. I think I really want to write some sort of Christmas/holiday tale, but I can't even begin to think of concept ideas. Any suggestions? I know that there are some great writers here. All I really need is an idea and then I can just take off from there. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks guys!! :smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Seeing as you're agnostic, you won't want to write stories about the birth of Jesus or such... let me think about this and I'll get back to you in a couple hours, OK? :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Hmmm...

Seeing as you're agnostic, you won't want to write stories about the birth of Jesus or such... let me think about this and I'll get back to you in a couple hours, OK? :smile:

Yeah...something that has the right amount of spirit. Nothing religious though. Besides I don't have enough information like that to write anything.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I wrote one about someone skipping christmas...and then another about a man who decided to skip christmas but who met a homelss man who showed him the meaning of christmas....

Er, you could do somethign about snow? Or, someone trying to get home for christmas, who's wife thinks that he hates his family, when actually he is doing his best to get there and life is working against him?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I got one, how about writing about the entire family coming home for christmas for the first time in several years, since everybody has been busy with other things and live in different cities and different states, etc. Maybe two brothers didn't particularly like each other when they were growing up and when they see each other for the first time in a few years, they realize they care for each other and drop the whole "I hate you" game.

Also, the family, even thought they are together again for the first time in years, are happy but a little sad at the same time because they're missing two people, yet one said he/she will be there for christmas to open presents but isn't there yet because he/she is running late. You could have that person who is running late pick up a cousin or another person of the family who couldn't make it because they were busy with work, or were in the army and were stationed in a nearby place and their commanding officer wasn't going to let that person off until he/she showed up to pick that person up to spend time with the family. Then you can have those two show up at the house right when everyone in the family is opening presents, then everyone gets all happy and cries and hugs at the same time, etc.

Just a few ideas.

ryan

BEAR

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your ideas. It helps a lot. Any more are welcome. I am only brainstorming ideas, I have a little bit more time before I absolutely have to have something on paper.

BEAR

Reaction score
The class has had some pretty interesting and fun assignments so far. I just finished one where I had to rewrite the story of Cinderella in a genre of my own choosing. It was pretty fun. It was like writing a parody or adaptation of such a familiar classic. Of course as we know the Muppets do it all the time. I put mine in the tropics and it was fun coming up with new things and changing old things to fit my own style. I was thinking of posting it on here incase any of you were interested in reading it and I wouldn't mind some feedback before turning it in.