Please sign the "Save Roger Rabbit" petition

grail

Reaction score
actually,

the way i understood it, the reason Speedy Gonzalez got back on the air is because there were certain key figures in the hispanic community that pointed out, very loudly, that Speedy was not the negative stereotype that Cartoon Network percieved him as being percieved to be.

botton line, they THOUGHT they were being sensitive to a section of the community. that same section decided that doing so was an incorrect action, and their leaders went to the source and affected change. Speedy is back on the air. petitions had nothing to do with it.

when it comes down to it, the only reason the Speedy thing worked is because CN was only trying to do the right thing in the first place. remember, somewhere up the line, Ted Turner's on their owner list...he's still living down that whole "Tomahawk Chop" thing.

the point is, Das Goot is right, petitions don't work. i have yet to see one EVER having an actual impact, though i've seen many of them claim victory when someone else forces the same decision that the petition was trying to get accross. most places won't even READ petitions...especially ones that come from the internet because they're too easy to fake. it wouldn't be too hard for one of us to run a crawler, collect email addresses (just like SPAMmers do), and use those addresses on the petition. they're just not an effective tool. you want change? call. write letters. make as many contacts as you can, and present a well-thought out and defined case. tell them WHY it's a good idea to listen to you. what's in it for them. that's what they want to hear. petitions are probably deleted as soon as they come in.

just my opinion...

oh, and no fair blasting the guy who came in and said "you sure this is a good idea" just because he's saying the same thing that others have said. sometimes, when the world's against you...it's because the world's right...but that's just my opinion too...

P

Philip Kippel

The petition now has 897 signatures.

Please keep the signatures rolling in and continue telling others about it.

Thank you all.

gringo

Reaction score
At Disneyland, there is a Roger Rabbit ride where you sit in a spinning car. You spin around the warehouse, while trying to avoid the weasels. It fun, but makes you sick from all the spinning. :smile:

Mark

P

Philip Kippel

Originally posted by gringo
At Disneyland, there is a Roger Rabbit ride where you sit in a spinning car. You spin around the warehouse, while trying to avoid the weasels. It fun, but makes you sick from all the spinning. :smile:

Mark
I know about that ride...and it's great.

I wish they'd copy it at Walt Disney World. It would also be awesome if they built the Roger Rabbit's Hollywood area that they proposed for the Disney-MGM Studios years ago.

I created the petition to try to get Roger and Co. to appear in "NEW" things.

I also hope that Roger will appear in the upcoming Mickey's Philharmagic 3D show, which is opening at the Magic Kingdom in 2003.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Grail
the way i understood it, the reason Speedy Gonzalez got back on the air is because there were certain key figures in the hispanic community that pointed out, very loudly, that Speedy was not the negative stereotype that Cartoon Network percieved him as being percieved to be.
botton line, they THOUGHT they were being sensitive to a section of the community. that same section decided that doing so was an incorrect action, and their leaders went to the source and affected change. Speedy is back on the air. petitions had nothing to do with it.
Actually, Grail, there are quite a few signatures on the Speedy Gonzales petition by people who claim that they are Hispanic, and are offended by CN removing the cartoons.

I don't think that the petition didn't help at all. It helped some.

- Billy :cool:

P

Philip Kippel

The petition is up to 922 signatures.

Please keep the signatures rolling in, tell others (including other Muppet Centralers) about it and thanks to all who have signed it so far.

Remember: you have until December 31st to sign this petition. The petition will then be forwarded to Michael Eisner and Steven Spielberg.

Next, here's a new "Yahoo!" article regarding the special edition "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" DVD:

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Disney is pulling out all the stops for the March 25 release of the 15th anniversary double-disc edition of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

The package will feature rare new animation of Roger and other animated characters from the groundbreaking combination of live-action and original cartoon characters and legendary animated stars from every studio.

It marks the closest thing there may ever be to a follow-up of Disney's unprecedented and since unmatched collaboration with Warner Bros., filmmakers Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy and Don Hahn, and a who's who of cartoon voice talent.

Disney's longtime DVD menu designer John Ross recently spent a day shooting footage for the menus at the same historic Ren-Mar Studios in Hollywood where scenes of the fictional Maroon Studios from the movie were shot. The footage will be used to create animated menus of toon character Benny the Cab (voiced by Charles Fleischer) driving DVD users around the studio to various program selections while offering his trademark wisecracks.

Marshall, one of the original producers, said Fleischer also voices a newly animated version of Roger in a 15-minute featurette called "Who Made Roger Rabbit," in which Roger goes in and out of existing scenes through the use of blue screen.

Marshall, who also directed parts of the three Roger Rabbit theatrical cartoon shorts that were produced in subsequent years and will be included on the DVD, said the movie was so much work that if the filmmakers knew in advance how hard it turned out to be, they might never have made it. That's why he says there are no plans to do a sequel or a prequel, or even produce new Roger Rabbit animated shorts.

"I think the movie sort of stands on its own," he said. "I think it's kind of like 'E.T.' for all of us; everybody came together at the right point of their careers."

Also included on the special edition will be an audio commentary track, which was recorded by the filmmakers for a previous laserdisc edition.

Other extras include two scenes from an "Invisible Man" movie where actors were filmed doing their scenes with rubber dolls being held and carried around by people approximating where the toon characters would be drawn in later.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Marshall, who also directed parts of the three Roger Rabbit theatrical cartoon shorts that were produced in subsequent years and will be included on the DVD, said the movie was so much work that if the filmmakers knew in advance how hard it turned out to be, they might never have made it. That's why he says there are no plans to do a sequel or a prequel, or even produce new Roger Rabbit animated shorts.
Well, animated shorts shouldn't be too hard for them. Maybe if the DVD sell very well that the board of directors demand it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh that whole thing smacks of the notorious Spielberg/Eisner feud!