1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Plymouth Muppet Traffic Safety Show

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by CountFan1998, Feb 9, 2012.

1. CountFan1998 Active Member

For fans who don't know, in 1988 (possibly earlier) Jim Henson :)jim:) teamed up with the Plymouth division of Chrysler to create a touring presentation about traffic safety. Kids could ride in small vans around a movie backlot featuring animatronic Muppets ( i.e. :):mad::o:concern::halo:, and even :eek::zany::cluck: and Robin!) created by Advanced Animations, that told visitors about various traffic safety lessons while filming their newest film.

What I want to know, is if anyone on here has seen/experienced it, or if there is any known video online. The whole concept seems really interesting! :)
  2. CountFan1998 Active Member

If anyone knows the lyrics to Play it Safe, that would also be helpful. :D Thanks!
  3. panmanthe2nd Active Member

4. CountFan1998 Active Member

Yeah, (without sounding sarcastic) I already saw it. Most of the photos out there I have already seen. The attention to detail is superb, :concern: as the camerman and :zany:s coming out of the schoolbus is genius! Any other information would be helpful. Thanks! :)
    P.S. Does anyone know which characters had speaking roles? I assume :):o:concern::mad::halo: and Robin have line since the audio was recorded by Jim, Frank and Jerry.
  5. CountFan1998 Active Member

Wait! Not :concern:! Why'd I put him? :cool:- Forgive me Dave Goelz, wherever you are!
  6. MuppetGuy75 Active Member

OMG... that is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I grew up in the 80's and I have NEVER seen this before! I would love to see a video or more pics of it too! :)
  7. beaker Well-Known Member

1988=greatest year ever. that is all
  8. Bannanasketch Active Member

Gonzo was there. He's shown with a camera in one of the photos on Muppet Wiki.
  9. CountFan1998 Active Member

Yeah, but Dave Goelz wasn't listed recording the audio track.

In fact, :concern: appears as the cameraman in every scene, I believe. He's shown in the schoolbus and ice cream shop scenes. At least they gave him a purpose for a silent character...
  10. Bannanasketch Active Member

Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry, I missed the post you made before. My bad.
  11. CountFan1998 Active Member

It's okay. I forgive you! :D
  12. CountFan1998 Active Member

I'm sure that Advanced Animations has some footage. I've heard that someone has camcorder footage, and someone else has a promo tape, so footage is out there! I just need to see it first! :D
  13. CountFan1998 Active Member

This just in- about a nine second long clip of the entrance and the back of Kermit in his booth!

(the clip starts at the 1:46 mark) If anyone else is willing to share footage if they can find any, please do!
  14. CountFan1998 Active Member

I just stumbled across this press release! (This is the second page, but it has the most photos, so...) Credit goes to nationalsafetytown.com (I'm loving the Statler and Waldorf cameo in the last pic!)
    [IMG]
    panmanthe2nd likes this.
  15. panmanthe2nd Active Member

That looks great! Well done for finding it.
  16. CountFan1998 Active Member

You're welcome! I've been putting some work into finding more information. I just love animatronics (and animatronic Muppets? I'm there!), plus I'm familiar with the company behind the exhibit and it's so cool that they collaborated with :jim: . Now if only we could find the "Play it Safe" song in full...
  17. panmanthe2nd Active Member

That would be amazing.
  18. CountFan1998 Active Member

I'm sure Advanced Animations would have some sort of audio or promo reel for it, but I'm sure they wouldn't just give it out if we asked... (Although I happen to know a voice actor who did work for them...) I'm sure Toughpigs might have something. On Muppet Wiki, they were discussing that there was a four minute promo clip out there starring Kermit, Piggy Robin and the Frog Scouts (probably like the top right picture on the press release...). Interesting isn't it? :)

I was just reading through the press release and found that the animatronics actually used official Muppet costume materials. I also read that the exhibit used 200 ft. of track and that the cars had a safety bumper that stopped the ride if anything got in its way! (Very clever considering the theme, if you ask me!) Eight show scenes were featured, but we have yet to find the order in which they appeared. (All I know is that the Animal and Schoolbus scenes are linked because you can see the back of the large tree prop in the bottom right picture...)
    panmanthe2nd likes this.
  19. Enginerd Member

I'm so glad I found this thread! This came to my local mall when I was 3 or 4. For years I've been asking my parents if they remembered taking me to it and they had no recollection of it! Needless to say, I only have some very, very foggy memories of it... I very much enjoyed seeing all of these photos!
  20. CountFan1998 Active Member

You're welcome ever so much for finding the thread! It makes me so proud to unearth all these photos and bits and pieces of information... Just call it my little contribution to MC. :) BTW, what did you remember from the exhibit?