Polyfoam Practice

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a quick question. Does anyone here use something to practice patterns on polyfoam? And if so, what do you use? I'm playing around with a puppet shape but I don't want to use up all my foam doing rough drafts if I can help it. Does anyone have any advice?

Melonpool

Reaction score
I usually use 1/2 inch regular upholstery foam for practice. And by the time I'm done with my initial patterning, it's quite a Frankenstein. After that, I cut it down as best I can into one or two flat sheets, combining what I can. Sometimes, I have to pattern 2 or 3 times to get it just the way I want to. I also use regular contact cement at this stage, I tried using hot glue, but it never sticks quite enough and I end up refining it so much that hot glue becomes a hard mess.

Hope this helps!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
How much does upholstery foam cost? Right now I use 1/2 inch foam that I get by the yard at Joanns. It's usually $10/yard. Do you think that's gonna be as cheap as I'd get any other material like this?

larz21

Reaction score
If you can find 1/4 inch foam, you can build half-size patterns. I don't have a good local source, but you can try any online foam place. I have used foam backed headliner material from a fabric shop, it's pretty thin, so I made my patterns at 33%.

http://www.usafoam.com/opencellfoam/poly.html

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
If you can find 1/4 inch foam, you can build half-size patterns. I don't have a good local source, but you can try any online foam place. I have used foam backed headliner material from a fabric shop, it's pretty thin, so I made my patterns at 33%.

http://www.usafoam.com/opencellfoam/poly.html
I never thought about that. Thanks for the tip. I've been endeavoring to try and make smaller versions of the patterns I'm trying but yea, the 1/2 messes with it eventually. Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks also for the advice Melonpool.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Joann's is one of the more expensive places I've found foam -- and it's basically upholstery foam. I'd check your phone book or online for foam suppliers. I used to get 2 x 4 sheets of 1/2 upholstery foam for about $6 a few years ago at a place called Foam Mart.

I used to use this to make patterns for years -- and even to make regular puppets and it worked great. I just checked their site and it looks like they still sell stuff that's comparable. They also sell off cuts at a discount that work great for puppet building (who else would want a 1 x 1 x 1 foot block of foam?).

Even so, Foam Mart isn't the best deal in town, but they are better than Michael's or Joann's. And if you can find a similar place that's local, you can save on shipping.

http://site.iwebcenters.com/afoammart_2/polyurethanefoam1.html

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Great Leaping Richards Hunts! That is cheap foam. Sweet, thanks for the tip. At any rate I can't find a single place in town that will sell me a block of foam for a decent price so I'll check them out for that at least. But also thanks for the advice that their half inch foam is a good price.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Nice website Goochman, thanks. I might use that to get the 1/4 stuff somtime.

Goochman

Reaction score
they're really good! Cheap and fast shipping too :concern: