Poor Solomon Grundy

bigbird

Reaction score
This had to be the most origianl cartoon idea during the older days of SS. Solomon Grundy was a kid who was washing himself in a bathtub. The unseen narrator was describing each body part he had washed on a daily basis along with a group of unseen kids repeating everything that was said by the narrator. Unfortunately, he was only washing some parts of his body causing the kids to say at the end "He's still half dirty"! This was a skit that always caused my father to shake his head in disbelief which made it all the more funnier.

SesameStoner

Reaction score
i rember that one two ...i hadnt thought about it in a long time

MuppetDude

Reaction score
This was Sesame Street's very first cartoon to be aired nationwide.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
(as a comic book geek aside)

Is this cartoon actually supposed to be depicting Solomon Grundy, from DC Comics, or did the kid just happen to have the misfortune of being named after one of DC's most colossal supervillians? (And dumbest)

If there is a connection, Superman should definitely have showed up to defeat Grundy.

:smile:

Andrew T

Reaction score
Frames and dialogue from this cartoon were also reproduced in The Sesame Street Book of People and Things from 1970. Here's one of them:

(Sorry for the polka-dot effects; my scanner sometimes does that at low resolutions.)

Andy

Reaction score
Holy $%$#^! Do you know how long it's been since I saw that?! Was it my imagination, or did this cartoon have a really weird sound effect at the end?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
That's pretty neat about the Solomon Grundy thing.

Not to be rude, Andy, please...um....don't cuss. >> This is a familyoriented board.

Andy

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
That's pretty neat about the Solomon Grundy thing.

Not to be rude, Andy, please...um....don't cuss. >> This is a familyoriented board.
Sorry about that, just got carried away
:embarrassed:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The woman narrating the story giggled at the end, and was followed by a little bit of music at the end.