Popular Shows that You Hate

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As I've said before, my main beef with Big Bang is Chuck Lorre: almost all of his shows are overtly sexual, and I'm pretty sick and tired of almost everything on television in this day and age having to rely on sex as the selling point, even for a show that's, supposedly, supposed to be about nerds. I'd be sold if it was a show about nerds, and I mean NERDS: socially awkward people with limited interests who don't really fit in with other groups of people, yet aren't necessarily creepy-freak-deaky.

But that's just me.
I've finally actually noticed this since it's been pointed out. It is a running theme in every show. I guess the sexual overtones don't really bother me. In fact, I actually find it a refreshing change that the sexuality isn't particularly portrayed as sexy. It's clumsy and awkward and funny and a lot more realistic about the topic than other shows are. It plays a big part in the lives of most everyone I know, straight or LGBT. I just don't think it's a big deal unless it's made into one. I have lived in San Francisco for quite a while so maybe I'm just more liberated by nature. However, most of my friends these days see me as conservative. I don't know. Close friends talk about all sorts of things. This show just seems natural to me.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
More Shows:
DOUG: I liked it when I was a kid, but now growing up, I'm releasing that DOUG isn't the same program as it used to be.
SANJAY AND CRAIG: I tried watching it, I really did, but the gross out humor sickens me.
CHOWDER: It just felt like unlike THE MARVELOUS MISADVENTURES OF FLAPJACK, growing up, it has kinda went downhill for me, while THE MARVELOUS MISADVENTURES OF FLAPJACK has gone very up, but people can be subjective to their opinions so I won't judge the people who like this show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll give you this about Transformers Prime... I'm hugely disappointed that the show ended before we could have TFP versions of Grimlock and Wreck-Gar. I hope the next series after this will have them to some degree. And bring back a TFA style Sentinel Prime.

I've finally actually noticed this since it's been pointed out. It is a running theme in every show. I guess the sexual overtones don't really bother me. In fact, I actually find it a refreshing change that the sexuality isn't particularly portrayed as sexy. It's clumsy and awkward and funny and a lot more realistic about the topic than other shows are. It plays a big part in the lives of most everyone I know, straight or LGBT.
That's why I like his show Mike and Molly the most. The main characters are... well... YMMV on their attractiveness, but it's his most realistic show yet. BBT... I just really like Sheldon.

robodog

Reaction score
About the 80's/90's VS today argument? In the 80's a show called Little Clowns from Happytown was able to run for a full season. Nothing that came before or has been made since will ever be that terrible. The title alone is so sickeningly sweet it would make you vomit and as someone who's actually sat through an episode I can tell you the actual content is just as bad.

As for popular shows I don't like, American Idol is pretty much number one. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just not into singing competitions.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did it have that one obviously grumpy character that complained and learned some sort of lesson in every episode? Yeah. I love how these copies of the Smurfs had nothing that made the Smurfs special.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
One somewhat recent program that I could never get into was Lost. I got the feeling early on that the mystery of the island was just one big mcguffin so that the writers could explore the characters. However, I found all the characters to be unlikable and the show to be boring. And I felt there should have been dinosaurs! So there. :stick_out_tongue: Lost joins the ranks of the very few programs that are on my blacklist.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget the big reveal that was the biggest screw you to the audience ever. Even if you were involved with the show, that ending is the worst TV show ending of all time. I mean, bar none. I've seen shows end on unsatisfying cliffhangers that ended better than that.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Let's not forget the big reveal that was the biggest screw you to the audience ever. Even if you were involved with the show, that ending is the worst TV show ending of all time. I mean, bar none. I've seen shows end on unsatisfying cliffhangers that ended better than that.
From what I understand, the finale of Lost left a lot of loose ends and was incongruent with some parts of the unfolding story. The creators also denied the idea of such a contrivance early on in the series. I knew a lot of fans who charted all the details and had endless debates and in the end, none of it mattered. I had a suspicion of this after watching Alias. That was a much better program that kind of fell to a similar fate. The big red device that was the central element to that show was found to be somewhat of a meaningless mcguffin as well. Fool me once... I appreciate JJ Abrams' recent film work much more than his efforts in television.

robodog

Reaction score
Did it have that one obviously grumpy character that complained and learned some sort of lesson in every episode? Yeah. I love how these copies of the Smurfs had nothing that made the Smurfs special.
I don't really remember. They used to air it right before the My Pet Monster cartoon ( which was also pretty terrible but I was a fan of the toys ) so I'd leave it on while waiting for MPM to come on. Most of the time I'd play with toys and only occasionally glance up at the screen. I'd only actually watch the show if there was absolutely nothing else I wanted to do. But the characters were inescapable if you watched anything on ABC. They had them in little skits all throughout the Saturday morning lineup at the time. ABC really wanted that show to catch on for some reason. Fortunately, kids didn't bite and it was cast into the pit of obscurity where it belongs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From what I understand, the finale of Lost left a lot of loose ends and was incongruent with some parts of the unfolding story. The creators also denied the idea of such a contrivance early on in the series. I knew a lot of fans who charted all the details and had endless debates and in the end, none of it mattered. I had a suspicion of this after watching Alias. That was a much better program that kind of fell to a similar fate. The big red device that was the central element to that show was found to be somewhat of a meaningless mcguffin as well. Fool me once... I appreciate JJ Abrams' recent film work much more than his efforts in television.
Hey! It's as Sheldon said, Heroes gradually lowered the quality until people stopped caring. I honestly could care less about these big genre shows. Though... eh... Again, Transformers Prime is as close to one as I want to be. And frankly, it's better written with stronger characters than most of them.

But the characters were inescapable if you watched anything on ABC. They had them in little skits all throughout the Saturday morning lineup at the time. ABC really wanted that show to catch on for some reason. Fortunately, kids didn't bite and it was cast into the pit of obscurity where it belongs.
Oh yeah. They used to have those terrible jokes or something? I never actually saw the show (I think my ABC station cut off after that, something that drove me bats for years), but I remember those lame knock knock jokes clear as day.