Popular Shows that You Hate

robodog

Reaction score
Oh yeah. They used to have those terrible jokes or something? I never actually saw the show (I think my ABC station cut off after that, something that drove me bats for years), but I remember those lame knock knock jokes clear as day.
Yeah. That's pretty much it. All throughout the morning lineup one horrible joke after another. I'm trying to remember the villain. I'm almost certain there was one, but the human mind is a merciful thing at times and mine has blanked out most of my memory of that show. I don't know what the creators were thinking. Even in the 80's clowns weren't all that popular. I'd think the first thing a decent Smurfs rip off would need is loveable characters, but most people seem to hate clowns. If there WAS a villain I'm sure most of the viewers would be rooting for him instead of the clowns. I mean if the guy was out to off a bunch of clowns he couldn't be all that bad. In my eyes that'd make him a hero.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I bought the HB Saturday morning Collection (mainly for the Ed Grimley episode they put on it, and it was 5 bucks), and while some of the cartoons were genuinely good (or at least non-ironically enjoyable), some of the cartoons were so bad it's good (Mr. T and especially the Chuck Norris thing... man, that was completely idiotic) there were about 3 cartoons I wasn't crazy about. 2 of them were Smurf Knockoffs (Monchichis, which was based of a Japanese Toy) Bisketts (which I don't want to complain about again. I thought it was a Robin Hood parody, and was greatly disappointed), and Kwicky Koala (which was lame and watered down, and while that was the Moral Dinks' fault, it still was just unwatchable).

But those Smurf knockoffs robbed us form ever getting a Teen Titans cartoon (which would have kinda stunk anyway) in between the rare Filmation 70's one and the common 2003 one. Also, I've grown to hate This Trope often associated with kiddy 80's cartoons. I'm sure the clown show had a lot of that. Biskitts did, I can't remember if Monchichis did though. Actually, I didn't hate Monchichis... it just wasn't that great.

Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed volume 1 of the 70's one a little more. And I always rant about 70's cartoons.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it okay to list shows we hate that we've never actually watched? Because I could list the majority of reality television and anime.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The problem is, like somebody previously said, to list off any (or all) reality show is "too easy" for this thread; Drtooth is the one who always says no sane, self-respecting person willingly watches any of these kind of trashy reality shows... and if they do, they do so out of irony.

I agree about the "too easy" aspect, I mean honestly, a bulk of us could just sit here all day and all night and spout off just about every single reality show under the sun, which really wouldn't contribute much to the thread or discussion itself, especially if they fall under Complaining About Shows You Don't Even Watch.

Now for me, one beef I have recently with reality shows is when they're advertised as, "From executive producer Random Celebrity", that really just drops said Random Celebrity down several notches on the awesome scale to think that they willingly waste a large sum of their worth to finance trash like that. For example, whenever I watch truTV (only for WORLD'S DUMBEST...), I see promos for SOUTH BEACH TOW all the time that proudly proclaim, "From executive producer Jennifer Lopez!" Really? Really? J-Lo has nothing better to do with her money than to finance a trashy reality show about the towing industry? And what does that even have to do with her own career?

Of course then again, that also brings me to my beef with referencing executive produers in promos and trailers, because executive producers hardly, if ever, have anything to do with the actual productions: most executive producers only open up their wallets and provide a financial backbone for a production, and others are just given the title for contributing input to the production (Spielberg gets this a lot for movies he didn't even work on). It makes sense to say, "From the director(s) of..." since directors are the ones who physically bring a story to life, or "From the producer(s) of..." since producers are the ones who actually get the job done for a production, or even, "From the creator(s) of..." because SOMEBODY has to come up with all these things; directors, producers, creators are actually involved with their own productions, executive producers aren't, so there's really no need to advertise them, unless it's purely for namesake (again, J-Lo, Spielberg...), but even then, that's kind of shameless and self-congratulating.

But I digress, it's kind of pointless to sit here and dribble on about reality shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it okay to list shows we hate that we've never actually watched? Because I could list the majority of reality television and anime.
Thanks for reminding me. I knew there was a reason I hated Pokemon that I forgot. It completely ruined America's perception of Japanese animation. It's either the only anime anyone will watch (gateway Anime my foot!) or everyone automatically thought that EVERYTHING Japan EVER did was some sort of mixture between that or DBZ. To say the least, not knowing about Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro, Tensai Bakabon, or (being a real snob here) Satasho Kon films. I mean, Satashi Kon was probably the greatest thing to happen to Japanese animation since Osamu Tetzuka. None of his movies ever got nominated in the US, unless you count the fact that Black Swan was a complete knockoff of Perfect Blue (which you can't buy in this country because the director of Black Swan bought up all the rights so no one would find out he lifted the entire movie).

No... all Anime is either DBZ or Pokemon. And guess what? There's a lot in both that was lifted from other anime we'll never get to see in the US. Like I said, Pokemon stole the villains from Time Bokan, and DBZ lifted a few things from Kinnikuman. The whole extra power level that somehow pops up when the character has been severely beaten? Kinnikuman did it first, and it only predated the original Dragon Ball by a few years.

Ah, to be European in the 1980's and actually see some of these things. We just got Voltron, Robotech, and Battle of the Planets. And BOTP did worse to the original Gatchaman than anything 4Kids did to any anime. And yet, the 1970's kids didn't complain about having to sit through an Alan Young voiced poorly animated robot. Mainly because everything else sucked so much in that decade...

robodog

Reaction score
I bought the HB Saturday morning Collection (mainly for the Ed Grimley episode they put on it, and it was 5 bucks), and while some of the cartoons were genuinely good (or at least non-ironically enjoyable), some of the cartoons were so bad it's good (Mr. T and especially the Chuck Norris thing... man, that was completely idiotic) there were about 3 cartoons I wasn't crazy about. 2 of them were Smurf Knockoffs (Monchichis, which was based of a Japanese Toy) Bisketts (which I don't want to complain about again. I thought it was a Robin Hood parody, and was greatly disappointed), and Kwicky Koala (which was lame and watered down, and while that was the Moral Dinks' fault, it still was just unwatchable).

But those Smurf knockoffs robbed us form ever getting a Teen Titans cartoon (which would have kinda stunk anyway) in between the rare Filmation 70's one and the common 2003 one. Also, I've grown to hate This Trope often associated with kiddy 80's cartoons. I'm sure the clown show had a lot of that. Biskitts did, I can't remember if Monchichis did though. Actually, I didn't hate Monchichis... it just wasn't that great.

Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed volume 1 of the 70's one a little more. And I always rant about 70's cartoons.
I had forgotten about Ed Grimly until you brought it up. I used to love that show. I actually have fond memories of The Biskitts, even named my puppy Biskitt after the show, but it sounds like it's one of those shows I should probably never attempt to seek out in order to preserve the fond memories I have of it. I also remember Kwicky Koala. It used to come on after Saturday Supercade if I recall. Every time I eat green cotton candy I remember that show because there was an episode where he ate eucalyptus flavored cotton candy and it was green. Wasn't Kwicky Koala part of a show that attempted to bring back the classic style of slapstick animation? I seem to remember other segments like Dirty Dog and Krazy Klaws. That was pretty much doomed to failure before it could even begin. In the 80's you couldn't even have one character hit another without the media watchdogs getting their panties in a twist, let alone having characters blown up with high explosives or any other of a number of various types of cartoon violence.

I remember Monchichis. I had one of the plushes. I got it in a gift shop at an airport in Indiana. But I just ripped it's "I Love Indianapolis" shirt off and gave it to my Snoopy doll to wear. I wanted him to have a souvenir from the trip. I remember the cartoon and part of the theme song. But the thing that sticks out most for me was an episode where the main villain killed one of his minions by turning him to stone or crystal or something like that. I still wonder how they were able to get away with that during an era where the censors had gigantic sticks up their butts and a near psychotic hatred of anything that could even be remotely considered violent.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The problem is, like somebody previously said, to list off any (or all) reality show is "too easy" for this thread; Drtooth is the one who always says no sane, self-respecting person willingly watches any of these kind of trashy reality shows... and if they do, they do so out of irony.

I have occasionally saw a little of some reality shows, mainly because other people in the house were watching them and I couldn't avoid them. The only reality show that I actually watched, and liked, was Meet the Marks (or was it Meet the Marx?), which seems to be the only reality show that was canceled too soon. And that show was more of a mix between reality and fiction. Actually I also watched 15 Seconds of Fame, not sure if that counts as a reality show.

Of course then again, that also brings me to my beef with referencing executive produers in promos and trailers, because executive producers hardly, if ever, have anything to do with the actual productions: most executive producers only open up their wallets and provide a financial backbone for a production, and others are just given the title for contributing input to the production (Spielberg gets this a lot for movies he didn't even work on).
I know that for the movies Suburban Commando and Mr. Nanny Hulk Hogan got an executive producer credit but it was really just a title for him. And then when he did Thunder in Paradise he actually had to work as executive producer.

Thanks for reminding me. I knew there was a reason I hated Pokemon that I forgot. It completely ruined America's perception of Japanese animation. It's either the only anime anyone will watch (gateway Anime my foot!) or everyone automatically thought that EVERYTHING Japan EVER did was some sort of mixture between that or DBZ.
The ironic thing is that Pokemon is one of the few Anime shows that I like, to a certain extent. I haven't played many of the games very often, but I watched the show with my brother when it had premiered (in fact I also saw some of the Toonami shows because of my brother). I also saw the first two movies (I saw the second in theaters because it had a new song from Weird Al Yankovic) and part of the third. I like many of the characters. The only other Anime that I like at all is Hamtarro. But at the end of the day, if I was to make a list of my top 30 favorite TV shows, I probably wouldn't put either show on my list, unless maybe it was a top 30 animated TV shows list.

I associate Anime with action cartoons. I prefer comedy, and feel like most Animes aren't action comedies (but maybe I'm wrong). Of course I was surprised to learn that the uncut Japanese versions have sex and nudity.... For years I've associated those with comedy.

Most television I watch is comedy. And yet both Anime and reality television are the only genres I single out as hating (I'm sure both have plenty of shows with real funny moments). I don't blindly hate soap operas, dramas, action shows, science fiction, or other non-comedy genre shows that I don't watch as much as Anime or reality.

robodog

Reaction score
I like Pokémon well enough. I have more fond memories of the Tamagotchi style Pikachu virtual pet I had back then than the show or games though. I did have a Sony Aibo robot that seemed to despise the show though. Once when it came on, the Aibo looked up at the screen and made a noise that sounded like utter disgust. I'd never heard him make that sound before and I never heard him make it again. It was the strangest thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have more fond memories of the Tamagotchi style Pikachu virtual pet I had back then
Oh lord, don't even remind me; I had one of those as well, that thing required a LOT of commitment! I mean seriously, after a while, my Pocket Pikachu did NOTHING but turn its back on me because apparently I "neglected" it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I associate Anime with action cartoons. I prefer comedy, and feel like most Animes aren't action comedies (but maybe I'm wrong). Of course I was surprised to learn that the uncut Japanese versions have sex and nudity.... For years I've associated those with comedy.

I got yer comedy right here...

Far, FAR better than Hamtaro ever was.