Poseable Hands...

Nick

Reaction score
OK... I am not sure if I read it on here, since I have read like a million posts this week (and it is only Thursday!) or if I saw it on one of the websites I found... But there was a tutorial for poseable hands, and how to shape and affix the wires etc...

Any help would be awesome, as I am making my first puppet (in many years) from Projectpuppet.com's wonderful plans! All I have to say is OMG! they are wonderful! I hope they offer another contest this year!! I want all their plans, but being a broke college student, I can't get them :cry: I was actually debating... if I should spend the week eating top ramen and pbj, in order to get one more set of plans.

Oops... I digress... I apologize... what to we call that? Miffling or Ziffeling? I forget... oops did it again, we are talking about poseable hands... Any ideas, tips, tricks etc. Thanks so much for your help!

Nick

Reaction score
Wow! cool that you are on here! YOU HAVE AN AWESOME SITE!
I sent the link to my whole puppetry class... Hope they shop! We have a big project due in 3 weeks!

Anyway, that was not the link... but I have saved it, as I will use that in the future. The one I am refering to, is wire that looked like the hand... and was sewn in....

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Hands

I know that Noreen Young has a video that has how to affix wire within the hand. Really though, all you have to do is draw out a hand pattern on material, trace the pattern with the wire on the inside part of the pattern, sew the pattern; pull it inside out then "force" the wire inside- Just make the hand part not the entire arm or you won't be able to get the wire through. Once the hand is done, stuff it and then attach the arm on. Some people will affix the wire to wooden dowelling inside the arm. Others may twist the ends of wire inside and leave it "floating" inside the hand. It all depends on what you prefer and how you build your puppet arms.
:big_grin:

Nick

Reaction score
Thank you! Everyone has been so helpful! Now to make my Glorified Sock Puppet! WOOHOO!

Actually, Bezalel, I will PM you as I have a question regarding the mouthplate...

Thanks again everyone!
Nick