1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Possible Muppet Babies Reboot?

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by The Count, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi, just found an article over at toughpigs.com that discusses how Disney Junior is working on a potential new Muppet Babies series. Don't know how to embed the article link here, and there's no real concrete information regarding the series, just that it's in the potential planning stages. Regarding characters, it mentions :), :mad:, :o:, :concern:, and :halo: as the main cast, along with Miss Nanny (a younger version of Nanny), and Bobbi Baba, a new female Muppet sheep character.

We'll have to wait and see if this ends up becoming a real show. ;)

muppetperson likes this.
  2. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

All I can say about this is: (inserting dramatic music sting here) "DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :crazy:;):D

3. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

muppetperson and LaRanaRene like this.
  4. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I like how they refer to Miss Piggy as a truck driver in a dress, similar to how Frank Oz did. I hope Rowlf, Scooter and Skeeter are in this.

scooterfan360 and Mr Snrub like this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Ooh, I really hope this happens. Preschool shows have really been getting better in the last few years, so if there was ever a time to make this show-it's now.

6. mr3urious

Kermit also referenced the Millennium Falcon, so that must mean we'll get to at least see some Star Wars footage, too. :)

Luke kun likes this.
  7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot the original show used footage from other shows and movies. I guess they can use a bunch of Disney movies now.

Luke kun likes this.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I...I don't know what to make of this. Seems a little suspect. But I've been saying since the sitcom got cancelled that it's the right time to bring the Babies back for merchandising and preschool television. I have faith in Disney's preschool shows turning that ghastly "derp, let's do what Dora's doing" corner. Lion Guard looks like it could have been a Disney Afternoon show, and much as I love Timon and Pumbaa's series, this was a more faithful recreation of the movie in cartoon series form. Surely this series can be done well and it's in the right hands.

I'm intrigued by a completely new Muppet on the show to fill in gaps left by the lack of girl characters. Instead of making a weird relative that's only contained in that version of the series, they made something entirely new. She looks a little Sesame Street-ish rather than Muppet Show like, but that's not a big deal. I hope that if this gets made and if this is even a thing we'd see other Babies in the series based off of existing Muppets. Either in the main cast, or like Bunsen and Beaker, that visit from time to time.

The Count likes this.
  9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I would like if they could make the computer animation look like realistic puppets, rather than drawings.

10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Considering their proposed ages are running in the 4-6 bracket, and it looks like some of the characters have been aged a bit (Baby Gonzo and Baby Animal look more like toddlers than babies), I'm not so sure that MUPPET BABIES would be entirely appropos. At the risk of rechanneling the spirit of Flintstones and Tom and Jerry, perhaps MUPPET KIDS would be a bit more accurate.

LaRanaRene and muppetperson like this.
  11. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Looking at the article, I think Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy were designed using a computer and Gonzo, Animal, and the sheep haven't been designed using a computer yet and are simply sketches.

This is great and all, but I'm a bit worried that they're going back to doing kid's stuff instead of also doing things for a whole family.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Muppy and Blue Frackle like this.
  12. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Interesting to me how the first half of concept art (Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie) is 3D while the last half is 2D. The article states this show would be produced with computer animation, but that could mean either Flash animation or CGI. Maybe they're deciding whether it'll be 2D or 3D? I personally would like if it's Flash.

In inspiration from the children's toys brand, how about Muppet Tykes? That could easily fit between "babies" and "kids", and it wouldn't have to follow the long list of ".... Kids" shows (Flintstones, T&J, Oz). Makes it kinda original.

13. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I wonder how things would work for :news: if he was as old as Kermit and the rest of the gang are in this possible series. I'd love to see a clash of Kermit and Newsie trying to do the news. It reminds me of the Muppets Episode where Newsie and Bobo go at each other's throats to get prizes for their daughters (I think)

BlakeConor14 likes this.
  14. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that they're workshopping a completely new female character to give the show some balance. Not surprised they wouldn't want to use Skeeter considering the ownership limbo her character is in. I'll be interested to see what comes of this (if anything, this seems pretty early).

15. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Love the idea

16. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

This probably might work better than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

17. mr3urious

As long as they keep an adventurous, mildly perilous, and witty tone with zero faux-interactivity, then heck yes it would work better. :)

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

While they still air and merchandise MMCH, that show is well in the rear view for Disney. That series where Mickey's a racer sounds like it has potential. I always hate to say this, but that Clubhouse series did breathe new life into Mickey and Co at a time where Disney was only about Pooh, Dalmatians, Pixar's movie of the year (no complaints on that one) and prefab pop star based kid-coms. I'm glad they've since moved onto those great Paul Rudish shorts.

If a New Muppet Babies were coming out about 10 years ago, I'd worry about it being Dora-y. Not anymore. Their line of new preschool series does give me hope, and I'd tend to think we can see that expand into retro baby goods that hopefully younger parents are not too young to have never seen the show growing up and having that attachment. If anything, I can totally see MB working as a line of baby and toddler products.

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Ownership limbo? Disney owns the Muppet Babies, including Skeeter.

If you're referring to the trouble they went through to have her be named in The Muppet Show Comic Book, that was really Roger Langridge being unsure whether Disney would approve of Muppet Babies in the comic book series. But he eventually did get approval of having her name be mentioned.

muppetperson and charlietheowl like this.
  20. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I find the whole Skeeter situation very strange. What I find stranger, is that Since Muppet Babies has been owned by Disney, to my knowledge, they have not aired it, so why would they now want to make more episodes?? Maybe there is some Voice Artist residuals issues, that they want to advoid by starting again?:search:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.