Potential New Muppet Show

Beauregard

Reaction score
Nice article! And with a quote as well, not just wild speculation.

I am glad that they are not considering JUST putting a show on Disney channel, but wanting it on a normal channel as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Those are some encouraging quotes, and I think that a new Muppet program would be better served on a normal network as opposed to the Disney channel because being on the Disney channel would encourage "Muppets=kid stuff" thinking.
Very true. Although a normal network nowdays might in turn encourage "Muppets=smut" Heh.

kyunkyua

Reaction score
I could see a show being on ABC Family. They do enough on that network already. :stick_out_tongue:
...BTW, Tim Curry should guest star. Or has he already?

Borples

Reaction score
Oh, this is what I want from the Muppet renaissance more than anything. I sure hope the DVD sells like mad, which would encourage Disney to make as much stuff as humanly (muppetly?) possible.

Also, I know how to spell "renaissance" without looking it up. I did not know I knew that. :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Very true. Although a normal network nowdays might in turn encourage "Muppets=smut" Heh.
It's a two-way street. I'd like to see a new Muppets show (know this won't happen due to corporate holdings) show up on one of the more original-programming driven cable channels like AMC because that way they wouldn't have to pander immediately to what the basic networks think is "funny". Yes, cable channels can push towards smutty, but they would be sensible enough to know that that type of humor doesn't work for the Muppets. There aren't sensible people running broadcast networks.

zoebell

Reaction score
i agree that it shouldn't be on the disney channel. i always thought it would be a good fit for something like the cartoon network, even though it's not animated

or comedy central, but i guess they're used to more adult stuff

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a two-way street. I'd like to see a new Muppets show (know this won't happen due to corporate holdings) show up on one of the more original-programming driven cable channels like AMC because that way they wouldn't have to pander immediately to what the basic networks think is "funny". Yes, cable channels can push towards smutty, but they would be sensible enough to know that that type of humor doesn't work for the Muppets. There aren't sensible people running broadcast networks.
That's basically the problem I've been having.

The Disney Channel would be ideal for two reasons... Disney owns the Network and wants to push the Muppets as a franchise, giving them some leverage to give the show more of a longevity. Secondly, anyone who thinks a Muppet Show, even if they were the most popular thing in the world and pulled in Marvel Superhero movie numbers at the box office would work in prime time just doesn't know the history.

The original Muppet show lasted 5 years by the glory of syndication. NBC pretended they didn't even air the Jim Henson Hour and it disappeared quite fast. Muppets Tonight kept moving the time slot around, and then it got shipped off to The Disney Channel second season because they wanted their money's worth of the last bunch of episodes. Even ABC would be a poor choice.... there's no way they can get it to compete with the stuff on television. Even in the 70's, all ABC gave them was 2 unsold pilots and called them "specials."