Potential New Muppet Show

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yes it is...plus you gotta watch what you say nowadays everyone is so sensitive. :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
ABC must be really struggling financially if that's the only reason they're keeping AFV on. They have a lot of bargain-basement shows on their network anyway, with their Friday night block of "news".
Yeah... the Voyeuristic programming I mentioned. The 7 PM slot on Sundays is tricky. Pinky and the Brain was put on that time slot for prime time (which explains the more adult subject matter the first season), but apparently was clobbered by 60 Minutes (something they referenced once in Animaniacs and once in Pinky and the Brain). I don't know if that's still the case, but a cheap show like AFV doesn't need great ratings. Though, to think there was a point in time where the show almost disappeared.

Maybe the new Muppet show could be a continuation/reworking of TMS. After all, they did rework TMS into Muppets Tonight for the (formerly) modern era. I can see them reworking TMS as a webcast, but there's got to be a way to mess that up...
That's why even if they get this together it's even trickier to pinpoint what kind of show they're going to do. I'd take it, they'd ride the nostalgia train and give us something like TMS. I mean, the movie kinda opens it up to a TMS style show being a possibility.

I think they should just either rewire a channel or make a new one and fill it with things like Muppets, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, and a few un-Muppet stuff thrown into the mix like Looney Tunes and Smurfs. You know, those old cartoons kids these days don't care about at all?
We HAD a channel like that. Hallmark bought out Henson's interest, and the Henson programming stopped.

To think... this was a channel they had overseas in the 90's.

As for the other cartoons, I'm completely dumbfounded that they just don't rerun that stuff on Saturdays instead of crap like Doodlebops. I mean, the Smurfs was an insane (and undeserved) hit, it would ONLY make sense to put the old episodes of that back on television. Maybe they're on Boomerang. But that's the best they can do. That's like Cartoon Network's graveyard now, instead of a retro channel.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it would kind of have to be updated. The days of when Jim Henson lived are long gone. :/
If they decided the Muppets' comedy was outdated, then I hope they wouldn't bother with a show at all and spare us the misery. :wink:

zoebell

Reaction score
there's gotta be some way to do a new muppet show, with the way things are changing now for television- i just think it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a prime-time show on abc. i mean, cable and the internet has made things different for so many shows just in the last 5-6 years. i really think it could thrive if it were to just find the perfect home someplace. disney needs to stay open minded and figure out a new avenue, because i don't see it working on the disney channel, it'd have to be something else. but there are plenty of ways to go with this

Alvin

Reaction score
I have a feeling the only way a new show is gonna work, is if it works somewhere else first. I know there are plans to film it in another country...which was where the original Muppet Show was done.

kyunkyua

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot. It'd probably be best to start with a few specials to test the waters, and go on to a show if that works out well. Also, keep doing the talk shows. That is how the Muppets got their start, after all.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the only way a new show is gonna work, is if it works somewhere else first. I know there are plans to film it in another country...which was where the original Muppet Show was done.
I've been thinking that they'd either shoot in California or Florida because of Disney-owned studios there. Like where they shoot the Disney Channel shows. Has something different been reported? It would be a coup if they shot in the same UK studios as the original Muppet Show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they decided the Muppets' comedy was outdated, then I hope they wouldn't bother with a show at all and spare us the misery. :wink:
I'd tend to think that a new Muppet Show, again hinted very hard by the new movie, would tend to be based on the old one. Muppet humor doesn't need to be updated much, only subtle things allowing for changes in technology and maybe a few referential things here and there. Nothing major needs to be altered, I feel. Maybe some new segments added to the series, some small alterations here and there to keep it from being an exact retread... plus, any room to accommodate Pepe, Rizzo, and Walter. If Walter's not there, it'll just add some unintended depressing undertones about how he's no longer with them (I LOVE a Goofy Movie and the sequel, but it's clear that Pete went through marital problems, as Peg and Pistol weren't in those films... it kinda adds a depressing subcontext if you think too hard about it).

Other than that, most of the major secondary and tertiary Muppet roles are recast, so we'd probably see classic style Pigs in Space and a whole lot of other classic features.