1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Pre-Order The Muppets Original Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. You can now pre-order "The Muppets" original soundtrack scheduled to release Monday November 21. Read the track list and find out all the details on this exciting soundtrack.

Since most of us will be getting "The Muppets" original soundtrack, we'd like to mention that if you pre-order "The Muppets" CD from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the album with a low-price guarantee. Thank you for supporting MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

Let us know your thoughts on "The Muppets" original soundtrack.
  2. Tim N Bartow

Tim N Bartow New Member

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's an original song for the movie. And according to track listings (I didn't click on the link you provided, so I'm not sure if I saw that one, but I saw other track listings) it's a song sung by Mary and Miss Piggy.

I thought I read that the movie would have new versions of many songs from past Muppet productions, but judging by this I guess it's only three. I wonder if Mahna Mahna will be the same recording from the Muppet Show albums with Jim Henson's voice, or if Bill Barretta will be performing the character. I guess on the album we won't hear the various celebrities who sing along, but I guess that's understandable. And I guess we don't really need a lot of new Muppet versions of classic Muppet songs.

This movie seems to have the most diverse variety of songs - originals, new versions of past Muppet songs, and songs the Muppets hadn't previously covered (some covered by the Muppets, some not). Most of the past movies only had original songs, all written by one songwriter (most of this movie's original songs were written by one songwriter, but I heard a few are written by others).

And I guess this will be the most musical Muppet movie, with 15 songs (most previous movies seem to have only had 7-8 songs, which is still more than the average animated Disney film).
    Duke Remington likes this.
  4. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

HA Me and Julio down by the school yeard..i love it!
  5. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Not a fan of Camilla and the chickens- of all Muppet characters- doing "Forget You." Not exactly in the same ballpark as "Babyface" if you catch my drift. And a barbershop quartet doing "Smells Like Team Spirit?" C'mon. A little respect for the original artist can go a long way, just ask the Muppet pigs when they did "I Get Around," "In The Navy" and "Lullaby of Broadway."

Also, did anyone else notice that the only songs that Bret McKenzie did for the movie mainly apply for the new characters Tex, Gary, Mary and Walter? This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping they'd do one for Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo, or maybe a Rowlf number even. And finally- and this is my biggest complaint- why are the Moopets doing Rainbow Connection? They're the villains and they'll most likely be portrayed the same way Polly, Clueless Morgan and Mad Monty were in MTI. This is, most likely, what Frank Oz meant by disrespecting the characters, because if it's done in a way that it's supposed to look humorous then it really won't work, and will be an eye sore in an otherwise awesome-looking Muppet film. That's Jim's song and I really didn't agree with it being in another feature film anyways. But the Moopets doing the song- even without already hearing it- sounds like it'll demean the greatest Muppet song ever. Would you want that no-talent clown Weird Al ruining "Being Green"? No? Well at the end of the day, regardless of your feelings towards him, Weird Al's a novelty act, just like the Moopets are supposed to be in the movie. I'll buy the track the day it comes out, but if it's even close to being good then I'll need to actually see the song being performed, because right now it just sounds like the worst idea since Gonzo found out he was an alien.
  6. Frogpuppeteer

see thats not fair because this is a personal feeling and doesnt speak for everyone...i love Weird Al and i would love to see him work with the muppets, im seeing him in concert this weekend....not everyone likes the same music what you like and what i like may be very different, its all about taste

its the same thing during the Muppet show days theres artists i dont like people like but i dont call them no talent clowns,

the moopets are a tribute band if i remember right from the synopsis we got so why arnt they allowed to sing it if thats why fozzie created the band
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that Kermit would sing this song in the movie. Maybe it's sung twice and only one appears on the album?

Weird Al isn't a no-talent clown. But I doubt he'd do a cover of a serious song (a parody, sure, but not a cover).
  8. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

This is exactly how people start thinking when something as wonderful as the "Rainbow Connection" song is being sung by just anyone and nobody respects the original. Why can't they have their own song of some sort? Leave the classic out of it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Heck, I didn't even like it when Rowlf and Kermit sang it at D23, with the Bunsen bouncing ball, and the whole atmosphere feeling like it was for kids only.
  9. chudman1000

chudman1000 Member

Actually it does appear twice on the album. Both the Muppets version and the Moopets version are in the track listing
  10. Frogpuppeteer

why does Rainbow connection have to be exclusive to Jim and Kermit?...if anything its Paul Williams' song he wrote it and he still sings it to this day, i..people have been inspired by it and cover it in their own ways and sing it, its the first full blown song i learned and the one i used to sing when i was little with my kermit puppet ,im really getting tired of all this purism that only the original and first is best
  11. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

It certainly doesn't. The whole gang sang a reprise of it at the end of TMM - and let's not forget the whole gaggle of Muppets singing it at the end of The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

Nothing against the original Kermit version in TMM, but i've already GOT a copy of that on The Muppet Movie soundtrack...and Muppets, Music and Mayhem and a few other discs. If i'm payin' for a new soundtrack album, i'm kinda hoping it will include stuff that's - ya know - new.

We know what role We Built This City plays in the movie and i think it's just fine to include on the Soundtrack...if it's the soundtrack to the MOVIE and the song plays a good part in said film, well, then it merits release in the soundtrack. Remember this is a movie soundtrack as opposed to a "Muppet album" so not every track HAS to have Muppets on it just as many other Muppet movie soundtracks had instrumentals, songs sung by human cast members or songs by humans included in the movie.

I love the idea of a Muppet barbershop quartet singing Smells Like Teen Spirit...if you're gonna even HAVE a Muppet barbershop quartet, should they sing a classic barbershop number every other barbershop quartet sings to death or a totally random would-never-otherwise-associate-it-with-barbershop song done up in a new style? This is classic Muppet Show hallmarks, people! I know it's going to be riproaringly hilarious and i'm already placing bets that it will be a highlight of the movie.

And of course not only is it great that Celo Green gets Forget You associated with the Classic Muppets after his unforgettable pairing with the Henson Co Muppets, but of course part of the joyous novelty of the song being done by Muppet Chickens is knowing that the new rendition will alternately come to be known as "Cluck You".

Wow. Now i know Frogster is one of those diehard "Jim era" Muppet fans but to be so stuck in that mindset that the idea of Kermit and Rowlf singing the song as a duet in a ceremony honoring Jim is something to cause frownlines as opposed to tears of joy and awe, that's gotta be a new level to sink to.

Harping on a Muppet Tribute Band (which are themselves Muppets in a Muppet movie) singing a Muppet song in a movie (what else would a Muppet Tribute Band Sing? "My Heart Will Go On"?) ...especially when the exact very same song gets sung later by the Muppets proper just really seems like really stretching and going out of one's way to find something to dislike.
  12. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I have no idea how Me & Julio will play into the movie, but i would be rolling in the aisle howling with laughter if when it does, at some point some character starts free-association singing "DANCE DANCE DANCE - ALL RIGHT! You can dance with me - EVERYBODY DANCE!"
    Muppetfan44 likes this.
  13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

"Smells Like Team Spirit" sung by a group of cacti seems like the kind of nonsense act you'd see on TMS.

Also, Frogboy, have a heart please. It would do us all a favor.
  14. terrimonster

terrimonster Member

It's already the highlight of the soundtrack for me, and I have no idea what it sounds like. I can't wait to see how it's presented in the movie.
  15. outerelf

outerelf Active Member

I need to stop spoiling myself on the movie. -_- Between this and the new 1 minute commercial I'm beginning to feel like maybe skipping out on seeing the movie.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly.

A Muppet cover band covering a Muppet song is blasphemy, eh?

Well, I can assure you that has never...

oh wait..

there's This and of course This... not to mention This... I'm sure they're not great.

What better way for the Muppets to discover the Moopets mangling a cover version of their song and getting disgusted?

Yeah... we all get the fact that "we Built this City" is supposed to parody the 1980's cleaning stuff up montage. I'm wondering if they were originally going to use "Put one Foot in Front of the Other" but couldn't get the right.

Crazy interpretations of songs are a Muppet Hallmark. Jim took a crappy Moog synthesized song from the soundtrack of a sex documentary and turned it into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

A Barber Shop singing an inappropriate song? Why that's right out of the skits in Muppets Tonight that ACTUALLY worked. Let's also not forget Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem's hard rock cover of Tenderly.

Seriously... anyone else sick of the negativity about this film based on tiny little bits of info? I sure as shell am.
  17. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Look, it was alright back then for them to do Rainbow Connection because they weren't trying to put a so-called 'funny' spin on it. Yeah I'm a "Jim Era" fan but regardless of that, this is a song that had been nominated for a Grammy for best song, plus many other famous singers have sung it and it's been revered as an excellent definition of what the Muppets stand for.

The Muppets don't always have to make everything funny.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's not a "funny spin." It's a "plot point." We can't know for sure what's going on, why these songs are used, or how they're used until we see them in context. I'm kinda sick of explaining jokes that are only hinted at.

My only real complaint, now that I think about it, There's NO Electric Mayhem song. There was the intention, though...
    My Morning Jacket wrote some songs that were to be used in the final film
    including this one (more are around that page) that were to have been performed by Mayhem. I wonder if they were cut for time or something. Still, would be great if they had the Mayhem perform them on the CD soundtrack, like the Songs from MCC that didn't fit in the movie.
  19. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

I totally agree.

Frogster is once again becoming extremely annoying with his attitude and overly-invalid remarks. :rolleyes:

Stop looking for excuses to hate the new movie, Frogster! Just stop it, please! :mad:
  20. Frogpuppeteer

who says its trying to be funny? its not the RainBOO connectioon or a parody its their own take on the song...their tribute to it, now we are just being nit picky amd looking for stuff to not like in the film, going in with a sourpuss so know matter what good could be in it our attitudes will hate it

we dont know the context of the film where the Moopets fit,outside of the tribute band in the end they could (just for the film) sing along side Kermit and the Gang,
    Happen in MTM why cant it happen here, thats what they need thats what theyve been looking for, more frogs and dogs and bears and chickens and whatevers

also Drtooth dont forget theres a whole tribute band Called the Dead Hensons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.