Preserving Bendees

CherryPizza

Reaction score
My Ernie Bendee, despite its age and natural deteriroation, was holding up reasonably well. However, I packed my collection up in boxes a couple of months ago so I could give the house a thorough cleaning.

Unpacking and re-displaying now, it seems that the box has started to take its toll on him. Some parts of the toy are dried out with no bending possibility, some are quite brittle. His hand would be broken off if not for the wire in his arm.

Even though I know foam-based products can't possibly last forever (anyone who's read Caroll's book knows that Bruno died tragically because of this, and the Fisher Price Piggy doll/puppet I bought a few weeks ago had its box covered and filled with a spongy dust which I assume is from her now-hollow head), is there something with which I could spray Ernie to preserve him/keep him intact?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't realize it was foam based until I read your post... I assumed you meant the plastic bendy type toys. In the case of those, the best way to keep them in good shape is to pose them in one pose and never ever change it. The wires come out of the plastic... I lost a beloved Bullwinkle that way when I was younger...

I'm sure as long as the Ernie doesn't need to be posed, it could be okay. Seems that the crumbling of the foam is inevitable, and I don't quite know how to fix or maintain it otherwise.

muppetperson

Reaction score
It is the air that breaks the rubber down.I would suggest painting it in a couple of layers of clear resin to seal it.