Printing Money

HandySam

Reaction score
:excited: ok im new and so desiring to get started building but i have a bit of a problem. with all my zeal i lack the funds to even so much as get started. ~sighs of disgust~ :frown: i just wonder if anyone might let me in on some fundraisers that would be successful. no i cant put on puppet routines because i also lack a real stage and/or decent puppets. I'm starting out here with a cardboard stage made from 2 frig boxes and the puppets are 2 beat up to recognize that they were at one time from OWS. ewww. so im attempting the impossible by trying to build a production out of virtually nothing with no funds to do it. can anyone help? :cry:

HandySam

Reaction score
HandySam said:
:excited: ok im new and so desiring to get started building but i have a bit of a problem. with all my zeal i lack the funds to even so much as get started. ~sighs of disgust~ :frown: i just wonder if anyone might let me in on some fundraisers that would be successful. no i cant put on puppet routines because i also lack a real stage and/or decent puppets. I'm starting out here with a cardboard stage made from 2 frig boxes and the puppets are 2 beat up to recognize that they were at one time from OWS. ewww. so im attempting the impossible by trying to build a production out of virtually nothing with no funds to do it. can anyone help? :cry:
ROFL.... too funny I have already had 10 puppet persons view this thread because it got there attention "printing money" but noone seems to have a clue how to do it. lol must be that we are all in the same boat

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Nah, here's your scenario:
1) No money
2) Well-worn puppets
3) No "real" stage

First, get rid of the giant refrigerator box stage(s). All you need is a good Washing Machine Box. It needs to be in full form (not crushed or broken down or cut apart). At the back of the box where the cardboard is seamed together, either pry apart (carefully) that seam or use a box cutter to cut down that corner of the box--NEATLY and STRAIGHT.

Get you some maroon and gold spray paint, then paint the most of the box maroon and then line it in gold. Some fake foliage (vines or other greenery) to hang over the edge of the stage isn't a bad idea, and gives you a center-stage in between the fake foliage.

There's your stage. Keep the flaps of the box on the bottom for 2 reasons: padding your knees and to help the stage stand up--plus, you're holding the stage up, too.

Old puppets? Clean them up, correct the damages, or just use them anyways. You can create sketches about the "Toys That Were" or something. Make USE of the old puppets you have.

No money? Borrow a few bucks from your parents to get the spray paint, then go do a few little birthday parties for a few bucks (starting out) like $20 or $30 for 30 minute shows.

There you are!

For pictures of the washing machine box stage, see the photos at www.midsouthcartoonists.com under the Photos button, then go into the album which reads "Ronald McDonald House" and scan down to the pic which reads "Muley Time."

Also, www.picturetrail.com/muleythemule under album "Muley's Friends" and scan down to Deanna and Matts Wedding (4 pics down the list).

HandySam

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
1) No money
2) Well-worn puppets
3) No "real" stage

First, get rid of the giant refrigerator box stage(s). All you need is a good Washing Machine Box. It needs to be in full form (not crushed or broken down or cut apart). At the back of the box where the cardboard is seamed together, either pry apart (carefully) that seam or use a box cutter to cut down that corner of the box--NEATLY and STRAIGHT.

Get you some maroon and gold spray paint, then paint the most of the box maroon and then line it in gold. Some fake foliage (vines or other greenery) to hang over the edge of the stage isn't a bad idea, and gives you a center-stage in between the fake foliage
There's your stage. Keep the flaps of the box on the bottom for 2 reasons: padding your knees and to help the stage stand up--plus, you're holding the stage up, too.

Old puppets? Clean them up, correct the damages, or just use them anyways. You can create sketches about the "Toys That Were" or something. Make USE of the old puppets you have.

No money? Borrow a few bucks from your parents to get the spray paint, then go do a few little birthday parties for a few bucks (starting out) like $20 or $30 for 30 minute shows.

There you are!

For pictures of the washing machine box stage, see the photos at www.midsouthcartoonists.com under the Photos button, then go into the album which reads "Ronald McDonald House" and scan down to the pic which reads "Muley Time."

Also, www.picturetrail.com/muleythemule under album "Muley's Friends" and scan down to Deanna and Matts Wedding (4 pics down the list).
thanks Fozzie! wow thats a great idea!
i will try that for sure.

HandySam

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
1) No money
2) Well-worn puppets
3) No "real" stage

Get you some maroon and gold spray paint, then paint the most of the box maroon and then line it in gold. Some fake foliage (vines or other greenery) to hang over the edge of the stage isn't a bad idea, and gives you a center-stage in between the fake foliage.

There you are!

Puppets cleaned up pretty well. Still a little on the funky side but they'll work for now I guess. A friend made some cool costumes to spruce 'em up a bit. I'm still making the stage. I got the box. I just need to paint it yet. I've been working on writing a play for a birthday party. I think if I had other plays to look at it might get my creative juices flowing (sounds messy). Got any suggested sites with good plays for free? I wanted to let you know Fozzie that I took your advise. Thanks again! (humble beginnings) :smirk:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Or, if you don't have a box, use the back of a couch. Hey, it works really well. I have this old video of when I was kid putting on a puppet play with friends. The result was so bad it's hilarious :stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There are some sites online with puppet skits, but I don't remember the links.

Do a google search for puppet skits and see what you pull up!

HandySam

Reaction score
writing a skit, stage is almost done. had to sell a few pints of blood to do it. j/k

Show and Tell

Reaction score
you could save yourself some running around and just use the blood to paint your box. remember to seal the cardboard first or it'll bleed through.