Product placement in Films

BEAR

Reaction score
Hey, Everyone!

I am taking this class about ethics in the film industry. It is quite a good class and we talk about some very interesting issues. One of the ethical concerns we have talked about recently is the use of product placement in film. I'd like to know some of your thoughts. How do you feel it affects us? What problems do you see in the film/television industry? Feel free to even throw in some Muppet references if you want. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey BEAR, could you explain exactly what you mean about "Product Placement"? Like having brand-name products in films or something?

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Hey BEAR, could you explain exactly what you mean about "Product Placement"? Like having brand-name products in films or something?
Exactly.

jediX

Reaction score
I usually don't mind it, but it usually comes across pretty lame, such as the Heineken joke in Austin Powers 2. Laaaaame.

Check out the cinema classic (and my absolute favorite non-Star Wars movie) "Return of the Killer Tomatoes" if you want to see how awesomely hilarious product placement can be... if done properly. :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Hey, Everyone!

I am taking this class about ethics in the film industry. It is quite a good class and we talk about some very interesting issues. One of the ethical concerns we have talked about recently is the use of product placement in film. I'd like to know some of your thoughts. How do you feel it affects us? What problems do you see in the film/television industry? Feel free to even throw in some Muppet references if you want. :stick_out_tongue:
I really don't like it. When brand names are thrown at your face, you start paying attention to them. And when that is done, the movie loses momentum, at least for me. Because, then I realise it's not as much about entertainment, or art, it's just about money. And that always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Some examples don't bother me too much. Example: In Back to the Future when he asks for a 'Pepsi Free' (not a Pepsi, free) and the guy is all, 'if you want one you gotta pay' sort of thing. Because that's less about the Pepsi and more about the humour, and it makes you think about the movie and the differences between the 50's and the 80's and less about Pepsi. Well, at least it does for me. But when labels are shoved in your face, or the camera focuses just one second longer on something like a cell phone so you can see it says 'motorola' or whatever, I hate that. Like, I dont care about the money and the products. I go to movies to be entertained or moved. I go for the humour and the stories. It irks me when I see product placement because I couldnt care less what the stars have, you know? If I want to know that, I'll go watch Entertainment Tonight. Leave that out of movies and get back to the story.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't mind it, although I do prefer it when it's done cleverly.