Prof. Hastings

G-MAN

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about Professor Hastings? I've only seen a picture of him on the Obscure Muppets Yahoo group website, and I don't know much of what he was about so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

BEAR

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with Hastings either, but I know some things. He was "fat blue" Anything Muppet type of character who would give lectures that were so boring that he would fall asleep in the middle of them. Whatever subject he was supposed to be discussing would be demonstrated in the background. The character was dropped because he was said to be too dull. He was voiced by Frank Oz. He sounds a lot like Sam the Eagle.

Hope this helps a little.

Ziffel

Reaction score
If you scroll down to the very bottom, you'll find three other Professor Hastings threads that should give you some information on him. :smile:
I, like all those classic muppets, liked Professor Hastings. And, as we were talking about Farley recently, had wished he made more appearances. He was a muppet that I ... :sleep: Up Ziffel Up! ... Huh?! Oh oh yes as I was saying I think Professor Hastings was enjoyable and the one thing ... :sleep:

Ziffel

Reaction score
He is listed there as having only been on in 1970. Real short lived. And I see the SS encyclopedia site also gives the specific years Farley was on SS. People were wondering about that on a Farley thread recently. I'll see if I can post the link there.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
If you'd like to hear Proffesor Hastings he is on a CD called Sesame Streeet sings the Alphabet. He is heard on there giving a U lecture, with Ernie hosting him, he keeps falling asleep during it, and Ernie keeps saying "Up Professor, up!" Although the CD first came out in 1996, it can still be found at some music stores and some of the Barnes and Nobels still carry it. As far as Professor Hastings on the show, that was a little before my time. Sorry. Mabye Gee Bee or Xerus could tell you a little more about him.

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
If you'd like to hear Proffesor Hastings he is on a CD called Sesame Streeet sings the Alphabet. He is heard on there giving a U lecture, with Ernie hosting him, he keeps falling asleep during it, and Ernie keeps saying "Up Professor, up!" Although the CD first came out in 1996, it can still be found at some music stores and some of the Barnes and Nobels still carry it. As far as Professor Hastings on the show, that was a little before my time. Sorry. Mabye Gee Bee or Xerus could tell you a little more about him.
Yes, I bought that CD earlier this year, so it should still be in stores. If you can't find it, I would be happy to send you an MP3 of the song.

G-MAN

Reaction score
That would be nice, I'd like to hear it thank you.

Censored

Reaction score
In another thread, I said it was a shame that Herbert Birdsfoot was excluded from the Sesame Street Unpaved book, yet it's even more of a shame that Prof. Hasting was included, but with a picture of Dr. Nobel Price! I'll never understand how they made such a mistake. Prof. Hastings and Dr. Nobel Price are from different eras, look nothing alike, have completely different personalities, and really had different occupations, one being a teacher and the other a scientist. I love the Sesame Street Unpaved book, but those kind of things seemed so careless.

Anyway, I really liked Prof. Hastings and I wish they would have tried to develop his personality more before giving him the axe.

Although he was only from 1970, I believe they did show reruns of his skits until around 1973.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Although he was only from 1970, I believe they did show reruns of his skits until around 1973.
I'm sure that he was on longer. In the booklet for the album Sing The Alphabet, his song The U Lecture was copyrighted 1975.