Professor Hastings

Censored

Reaction score
Professor Hastings was an early muppet that I knew well as a child and I remember noticing when he stopped appearing on the show. Yet, I can only recall two skits that he was in, the one where he was a contestant on "What's My Part" and a musical segment with the song "Spinning Wheel." I don't think he was on any of the Noggin episodes. Does anyone remember any other skits that Professor Hastings was in?

BTW, is the icon below supposed to be Professor Hastings? It looks and acts like him except that he's not blue like the original muppet. Or is it one of the old men from the Muppet Show?

:sleep:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
other than what's my part i don't recall him in any other skit? must of only been on durring the early 70s like Herbert Birdsfoot though i did see his skits a number of times growing up.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
He appeared with Kermit in a skit which was supposed to teach about body parts, I think (against a black screen). Does that ring a bell, GeeBee?

And yes, this icon :sleep: is Waldorf from The Muppet Show. :wink:

Censored

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
He appeared with Kermit in a skit which was supposed to teach about body parts, I think (against a black screen). Does that ring a bell, GeeBee?

And yes, this icon :sleep: is Waldorf from The Muppet Show. :wink:

That does ring a vaguely familiar bell. As much as I tend to remember from the old shows, Professor Hastings skits are really pushing it since he went off the show so early on.

There is an audio skit with Professor Hastings and Ernie, singing about the letter U on a Muppet album and this may have been a televised skit as well. I also recall seeing a skit with the Professor in a brick wall, blank background skit on a documentary about Sesame Street. They were talking about how his character was discontinued because kids just got bored when he fell asleep. (I've never really heard it said, but I have sometimes suspected that he was also taken off because he could be perceived as a negative stereotype of elderly people. If that wasn't the problem back then, it probably would be today).

Whatever the trouble or perceived trouble with Professor Hastings was, I think that they gave up on him too soon without developing his character further. The theme of the absent minded professor was done in several later skits and Professor Hastings would have fit in perfectly as the show became increasingly focused on school themes. Since Prof. Hastings and Bert both have a reputation for being boring, the two could have worked well together (Or was Prof. Hastings voiced by Frank Oz too?). I can just see Bert all excited about going to one of Prof. Hastings' "Boring Lectures." Missed opportunities.

I was surprised to discover on eBay that a Prof. Hastings hand puppet was actually made. I also had an old Sesame punch-out paper finger puppet set that included Prof. Hastings.

Anyway, poor Professor Hastings. He's one of Sesame Street's Founding Fathers who can't even get an accurate picture of himself in the Sesame Street Unpaved book.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
They were talking about how his character was discontinued because kids just got bored when he fell asleep. (I've never really heard it said, but I have sometimes suspected that he was also taken off because he could be perceived as a negative stereotype of elderly people. If that wasn't the problem back then, it probably would be today).

Whatever the trouble or perceived trouble with Professor Hastings was, I think that they gave up on him too soon without developing his character further. The theme of the absent minded professor was done in several later skits and Professor Hastings would have fit in perfectly as the show became increasingly focused on school themes. Since Prof. Hastings and Bert both have a reputation for being boring, the two could have worked well together (Or was Prof. Hastings voiced by Frank Oz too?). I can just see Bert all excited about going to one of Prof. Hastings' "Boring Lectures." Missed opportunities.
I just want to correct a few things and offer my own views on the subject of Prof. H. The reason he was removed from the show was because he was too dull, yes. Too boring. He would put himself to sleep with his own lectures. It was not because he was a negative stereotype of elderly people. Remember Pops from The Muppet Show? He falls asleep a lot and he is still around sometimes.
Also, it is unfair to compare Hastings with Bert by saying that they are both boring and could have worked well together. Yes, it is said that Bert is boring, but here is the difference. Bert is not necessarily boring but rather excited by boring things which makes him funny and endearing to us. He is not put to sleep by himself as the case is with Hastings.
Okay, enough of me being preachy. That just bugged me. Have a nice day!

Pino

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:

I have that skit on video... its to fall in sleep when you watch it... at least thats what the professor does