Professor Hastings

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just as I liked all of the SS humans, I liked all of the SS muppets too (pre Elmo that is) including Professor Hastings.

GeeBee said:
There is an audio skit with Professor Hastings and Ernie, singing about the letter U on a Muppet album and this may have been a televised skit as well.
The way Professor Hastings says "umpire" as he is drifting off to sleep again was one of my favorite of his moments. The other moment of his that tickled me was in the "What's My Part" skit. I loved the sound of the snore he made when he fell asleep (Though admittedly, as BEAR mentioned in another thread today, Big Bird's snoring sound was really awesome! That one always made me laugh without fail).

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:

I just want to correct a few things and offer my own views on the subject of Prof. H. The reason he was removed from the show was because he was too dull, yes. Too boring. He would put himself to sleep with his own lectures. It was not because he was a negative stereotype of elderly people. Remember Pops from The Muppet Show? He falls asleep a lot and he is still around sometimes.
Also, it is unfair to compare Hastings with Bert by saying that they are both boring and could have worked well together. Yes, it is said that Bert is boring, but here is the difference. Bert is not necessarily boring but rather excited by boring things which makes him funny and endearing to us. He is not put to sleep by himself as the case is with Hastings.
Okay, enough of me being preachy. That just bugged me. Have a nice day!

Go back and read what I wrote again. We know that Prof. Hastings was shelved because he was believed to be too dull, but I was saying that it COULD have ALSO been because he was a negative stereotype. This was a theory; I have no proof that it is true nor did I claim that I did. If you have proof that it's NOT true, please share it with the rest of us; we'd be very interested.

Furthermore, to compare the standards of Sesame Street to those of the Muppet Show is truly an absurd comparison. The humor on the muppet show was always more edgy, daring, and irreverent. Since it wasn't an educational show aimed at preschoolers, it didn't have to worry about the same kind of things that were significant on Sesame Street.

Bert is my favorite Sesame Street Muppet, so it's rather ridiculous for me to defend myself about something I wrote a month ago that suddenly happened to "bug" someone, but here goes. Read page 27 of the Sesame Street Unpaved book. On the subject of Bert, it says and I quote, "THERE'S AN ART TO BEING BORING. NOT EVERYONE CAN DO IT WELL. NOT EVERYONE WOULD PREFER TO SIT AROUND READING THE NEWSPAPER FRONT TO BACK WHILE HIS BEST FRIEND PLAYS GAMES IN THE SAME ROOM. NOT EVERYONE GETS EXCITED BY PROTECTIVE RAINGEAR. BUT BERT DOES, AND IN DOING SO, HE TEACHES US AN IMPORTANT LESSON- THAT THE WORLD IS MADE UP OF ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE, AND WE CAN LOVE THE BORING ONES, TOO." Unquote.

Have a nice day too.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Go back and read what I wrote again. We know that Prof. Hastings was shelved because he was believed to be too dull, but I was saying that it COULD have ALSO been because he was a negative stereotype. This was a theory; I have no proof that it is true nor did I claim that I did. If you have proof that it's NOT true, please share it with the rest of us; we'd be very interested.

Furthermore, to compare the standards of Sesame Street to those of the Muppet Show is truly an absurd comparison. The humor on the muppet show was always more edgy, daring, and irreverent. Since it wasn't an educational show aimed at preschoolers, it didn't have to worry about the same kind of things that were significant on Sesame Street.

Bert is my favorite Sesame Street Muppet, so it's rather ridiculous for me to defend myself about something I wrote a month ago that suddenly happened to "bug" someone, but here goes. Read page 27 of the Sesame Street Unpaved book. On the subject of Bert, it says and I quote, "THERE'S AN ART TO BEING BORING. NOT EVERYONE CAN DO IT WELL. NOT EVERYONE WOULD PREFER TO SIT AROUND READING THE NEWSPAPER FRONT TO BACK WHILE HIS BEST FRIEND PLAYS GAMES IN THE SAME ROOM. NOT EVERYONE GETS EXCITED BY PROTECTIVE RAINGEAR. BUT BERT DOES, AND IN DOING SO, HE TEACHES US AN IMPORTANT LESSON- THAT THE WORLD IS MADE UP OF ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE, AND WE CAN LOVE THE BORING ONES, TOO." Unquote.

Have a nice day too.

I am aware of what Unpaved says. It is one of my best reference books. I know ALL about Bert. I was simply expanding on the character of him. Giving my own imput, relax. The common fact that Bert is so likeable and beloved because he gets such joy out of dull things like watching paint drip. He is the ultimate nerd and we love him. There is absolutely no reason to pick fights about this. That's just silly. I do know that Hastings was not dropped because of negative stereotype.

BEAR

Reaction score
I am only helping you out there.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
There is absolutely no reason to pick fights about this. That's just silly.
I couldn't agree more.

BEAR said:
I do know that Hastings was not dropped because of negative stereotype.
Again, I ask, how do you know?

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I couldn't agree more.

Again, I ask, how do you know?
I just know. Sorry. I can't always have an explanation of my ingenius knowledge. :wink:

fatblue

Reaction score
Switching back to Prof. H, how did the skit between he and Kermit go? :confused: If anyone knows the answer to this. Thanks!