1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Project: Pinpointing Sesame Street's Location

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Jul 11, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

We all know Sesame Street is supposed to be set in New York City, but NYC is such a HUGE city, that it really could be ANYWHERE couldn't it?

Have you for fun ever tried to pinpoint a guesstimate location for our favorite street?

I think it could be very possible thanks to the Season 35 episode where Miles and his band tried to find a place to practice their new song, including the roof of 123.

Based on the layout of the roof with the location of the entrance to the inner staircase, the ladder to the fire escape, and the updated backdrop of rooftops and everything, I've deduced that 123 faces both the Empire State Building and the Plaza Hotel - the backdrop showed Empire State in the far distance to the left of the view from the rooftop, while the Plaza seemed a bit closer to 123 to the right.

I've tried to search aerial photos of NYC that would include both of those buildings to try to figure out Sesame Street's general location, but so far have had no luck, as NYC's virtually an urban jungle, lol. Plus, there's also the possibility that the backdrop for the roof isn't totally accurate at all, but assuming it is, I think we could use it as a reference to try to figure out where in NYC Sesame Street might be.

Anyone else care to join in this little "project" with me?

2. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

That sounds like an interesting project. I might have to do some dictective work.:search:

3. D'Snowth

This sounds like a job for Adolf Hemlock. :p

4. Colbynfriends

Lol. I looked on Google maps, and based on what you said, I think Sesame Street might be between W 27 Street and W 36 Street.

5. D'Snowth

Share links, we need visual aid, lol.

6. Colbynfriends

I'll try. Go to:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    if that don't work, type in
    Empire State Building Plaza Hotel into Google Maps. the plaza should be A and the ESB should be G. then zoom into NYC. look between 8th AVE and Park AVE S (Parallel.)

7. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I going to go with the real street that they say the show was based on, That was somewhere across the bridge. But I forget witch borough, though.

8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Forgive me if I sound dumb but I don't get what you mean by finding SS's true location considering it's done in a studio amd I highly doubt they have ever said exactly what part of town SS is in.

9. D'Snowth

We know SS's in a studio, but we're talking about IF Sesame Street was a REAL street.

Like we all know the 4077th was really on a studio ranch in the mountains of Southern California, but the setting was Uijongbu, South Korea.

10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

OK I see.

Sorry.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If anyone has The Street We Live oN handy, you can check the address on Oscar's package.

12. D'Snowth

I believe the zipcode said 12345, which I believe is an actual zipcode for more upstate New York, but I'm not exactly sure.

13. muppetfan1999

muppetfan1999 New Member

I've heard there is actually a street in Ohio called Sesame Street.

14. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

That's not working out when I try

15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Here's the address for Oscar's trash can from "The Street We Live On". The zip code is 10123, which puts Sesame Street around W 35th Street in Midtown, New York.

16. Count von Count

Ha :super:has any one realy looked it up?

17. D'Snowth

18. Count von Count

We should ask Jim Lewis What he thinks.
    He might know how to pinpoint S.S Location.

19. D'Snowth

I don't believe Jim Lewis works for Sesame, does he? I know he works with the other Muppets, but quite often, not all of them work for both; for instance Caroll Spinney doesn't work with the other Muppets, meanwhile the likes of Bill Barretta and Dave Goelz rarely work with Sesame.

Interestingly, I know Jim wanted it that way, if I remember correctly, Steve said that Jim wanted to keep him and Dave separate from Sesame, even though Steve had wanted to work for Sesame as well, and only got to after Jim's death, and he took on the likes of Kermit and Ernie before he really got to do other Sesame characters through the years.

20. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Umm... no. Jim Lewis doesn't work for Sesame Street. He'd have no idea.

And... by the way... is this thread trying to find the studio where they shoot it, or the fictional location on the show? :confused: