1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Puppet Contest 2007

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by bezalel, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bezalel New Member

Just wanted to let all on the board here know that Project Puppet's second annual puppet contest, "Once Upon A Puppet" is now underway!

That's right, a puppet contest with a fairytale theme, not to mention a stellar panel of judges and a couple great prizes. The entry deadline will be August 31, 2007. Find more information and details about the contest on the official announcement page, or read the complete contest rules.
  2. staceyrebecca Member

One more reason to kick myself for *not* using my coupon at the Puppet Rampage to get the glorified sock puppet pattern!

Sounds like a lot of fun!
  3. spcglider Member

Oh...,I am SOOOOO in on this one!

-Gordon
  4. Blink Member

This really looks like a great contest. I am so looking forward to seeing the results!
  5. staceyrebecca Member

Oh man, if Gordon's in, I know I don't have a chance!
  6. spcglider Member

DON'T YOU DARE! I'm not going to accept that kind of talk. I will NOT be used as an excuse!

Now if you don't enter, I'm going to be HELLA MAD at you.

You got mad puppet skillz, gurl! Use 'em!

Kick my buttocks!

-G
  7. staceyrebecca Member

Oh I'll use my skillz! But I'm just saying...if you're in it I can just count on a good romp!

This will be my introduction to following a pattern to make a puppet! Yikes. I bought the glorified sock just a few moments ago.

WHEEE!

Quick Edit:

So I just downloaded and read the instructions. They seem pretty clear, except, with as much (or as little) as I know about sewing, I don't know what a whipstitch is. Is that like a stay stitch or a basting stitch?

*sigh* Gordon, if you don't mind putting on a cilantro garnish when you hand me my puppet's tuchus on a platter, I'd appreciate it!
  8. spcglider Member

Whip stitch:

A good example would be the wire on a spiral-bound notebook. Same idea, only tighter.

You stitch around the outside of the edge... like those cheesy old leather-craft kits for making coin purses with that strange, flat plastic "thread".

-G
  9. bezalel New Member

Here's a diagram -

The Whipstitch

And, just so everyone is aware, we set up a post to answer any questions you may have regarding the contest, contest rules, judging, etc. You may post your questions here -

Puppet Contest Questions...
  10. spcglider Member

Oh... and quit it with the self-depricating stuff. You got better than that.

COME ON, ****(sic) YOU! COMPETE WITH ME!

Or if that isn't your gig... COMPETE WITH YOURSELF! GO ON! BRING IT!

Cuz here's the deal: I don't care if I win or not. The puppet I'm making for this is an excuse to stretch myself a little in the design arena. I fully intend to use it for TVTV (so you can guess that it'll be a creepy puppet). But if you don't delight in the making of puppets, what's the point? With this you actually have a PURPOSE for indulging your creative whim... what more could you ask?

I know I get stuck in a rut of "what I NEED to do" and seldom simply create a puppet for the sheer joy of it. This sort of contest gives you an excuse to try to break out and make a character you wouldn't normally think of doing.

In this case, I conceived a puppet that wasn't even in my mind as a character for the show, but when it's done will fit very well. That's not my only reason for making the character. I immediately thought about what sort of fairy-tale character would stretch my useage of materials-for-effect. Since the pattern itself can't be altered, I started thinking about what could be applied and integrated... ways to achieve an effect I hadn't previously done.

Blah blah blah.

Enough talk! You know what I mean!

GET TO WORK!
  11. staceyrebecca Member

Still, cilantro is nice ;)

And thank you for the whipstitch info! I ended up purchasing a 1980 Edition of the Reader's Digest Encyclopedia of sewing for 99 cents + shipping on amazon. Yes, I'm a big spender!

Gordon, did you SEE my puppet from John Kennedy's workshop? Oh I'll bring it! I'll bring it hard. Fairytales are my forte, but without the accent thingie because I'm not sure how to do an accent thingie with this machine.

Also, the salted nut roll was DELICIOUS. The nut goodie is still awaiting a special occasion.

GETTING,
    stacey

Also... http://puppetpie.blogspot.com will contain the trials and tribulations of a contestant.
  12. staceyrebecca Member

Gosh, I know this is off-topic to the original post, but its keeping the thread alive, right? Right?

Ok, so I've finished the base puppet, but I did wonder as I was making it, if I were to make it again (and I'm sure I will), can I expect the seams/puppet to change a whole lot if I forego the whipstitch and do a backstitch instead? In my brain, backstitching is a lot stronger and I can do it *so* much faster than I can a whipstitch. But then i'm not sure how the seam will lay in the final piece once its turned in comparison to a whipstitch.

Thanks guys!
    -stacey
  13. spcglider Member

Ahhh.... now it is time for you to snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshoppah!

Confucious say: "Backstitch when necessary. But know limits of backstitch."

Or something like that.

Frankly, I have no idea what it means. I say give it a shot.

If your puppet implodes and creates a nasty old black hole that sucks in all life in this quadrant of the galaxy crushing it to a singularity with it's massive graviton waves and spitting it out on the butt-end of a wormhole in the gamma sector...

well, it probably isn't a good idea twice, is it? :)

-G
  14. bezalel New Member

Gordon, I could read your posts all day and be thoroughly entertained. :)

The reason for the recommendation of the whipstitch or baseball stitch boils down to seam coverage. The closer you can stitch to the edge of the fabric (preferably a fleece with a nap) the less visible the seam will be. You almost have to think - "I'm weaving these two pieces together, not stitching them together".

A back stitch is perfectly acceptable. It will give you a seam more similar to that of a sewing machine. Even machine sewing is fine. You can still get seam coverage depending on the properties of the fabric (antron would probably do the best in that case).
  15. spcglider Member

Bezalel,

If I could find a way to make a living posting all day for your entertainment, I'd do it GLADLY! LOL!

-G
  16. staceyrebecca Member

Thank you guys!

If I create a giant void, I'm entering THAT into once upon a puppet.
  17. spcglider Member

Well, I'm DEEP into making this puppet now. I'm pretty happy so far.

In order to not chop my own legs off, I'm gonna be a stinker and not reveal what the character is. But I can tell you its a female and she is relatively obscure in the fairy tale genre. She appears mostly in Scottish/European fairy tales.

So tonight I need to go to (ugh!) Michael's Crafts and find her some hair. The reason I say UGH about Michael's is that the place is owned by the jerks who fully sponsored the "swiftboating" tactics in the last national elections. Yup.. .I'm a nasty ol' liberal. Look out! I'll corrupt your children! Bwa ha ha ha ha! (Yeah.. I'll make them watch PUPPET SHOWS!)

Anyway, I try to avoid shopping at Michael's Crafts whenever I can, but sometimes I simply can't find what I need anywhere else. But you know, I'm still gonna try before I give them another dime. ;)

-Gordon
  18. staceyrebecca Member

Hey Gordon,

I'll reveal a wonderful secret. Etsy.com is a great place to find hand-spun yarns! I also get a lot of raw hand-dyed wool and mohair from them, too. Just do a search on yarn. You can usually request custom colors, too.

Avoiding Michael's,
    -stacey
  19. spcglider Member

Ahhhhhh... good resource. Thanks!

-G
  20. spcglider Member

Hooray! My Once Upon A Puppet Contest entry is now IN.

I finally had the opportunity to get some pictures of her and write up a description.

Deadline is only a couple days away!

-Gordon