Puppet Contest 2007

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Just wanted to let all on the board here know that Project Puppet's second annual puppet contest, "Once Upon A Puppet" is now underway!

That's right, a puppet contest with a fairytale theme, not to mention a stellar panel of judges and a couple great prizes. The entry deadline will be August 31, 2007. Find more information and details about the contest on the official announcement page, or read the complete contest rules.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
One more reason to kick myself for *not* using my coupon at the Puppet Rampage to get the glorified sock puppet pattern!

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Blink

Reaction score
This really looks like a great contest. I am so looking forward to seeing the results!

spcglider

Reaction score
Oh man, if Gordon's in, I know I don't have a chance!
DON'T YOU DARE! I'm not going to accept that kind of talk. I will NOT be used as an excuse!

Now if you don't enter, I'm going to be HELLA MAD at you.

You got mad puppet skillz, gurl! Use 'em!

Kick my buttocks!

-G

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Oh I'll use my skillz! But I'm just saying...if you're in it I can just count on a good romp!

This will be my introduction to following a pattern to make a puppet! Yikes. I bought the glorified sock just a few moments ago.

WHEEE!

Quick Edit:

So I just downloaded and read the instructions. They seem pretty clear, except, with as much (or as little) as I know about sewing, I don't know what a whipstitch is. Is that like a stay stitch or a basting stitch?

*sigh* Gordon, if you don't mind putting on a cilantro garnish when you hand me my puppet's tuchus on a platter, I'd appreciate it!

spcglider

Reaction score
Whip stitch:

A good example would be the wire on a spiral-bound notebook. Same idea, only tighter.

You stitch around the outside of the edge... like those cheesy old leather-craft kits for making coin purses with that strange, flat plastic "thread".

-G

spcglider

Reaction score
Oh... and quit it with the self-depricating stuff. You got better than that.

COME ON, ****(sic) YOU! COMPETE WITH ME!

Or if that isn't your gig... COMPETE WITH YOURSELF! GO ON! BRING IT!

Cuz here's the deal: I don't care if I win or not. The puppet I'm making for this is an excuse to stretch myself a little in the design arena. I fully intend to use it for TVTV (so you can guess that it'll be a creepy puppet). But if you don't delight in the making of puppets, what's the point? With this you actually have a PURPOSE for indulging your creative whim... what more could you ask?

I know I get stuck in a rut of "what I NEED to do" and seldom simply create a puppet for the sheer joy of it. This sort of contest gives you an excuse to try to break out and make a character you wouldn't normally think of doing.

In this case, I conceived a puppet that wasn't even in my mind as a character for the show, but when it's done will fit very well. That's not my only reason for making the character. I immediately thought about what sort of fairy-tale character would stretch my useage of materials-for-effect. Since the pattern itself can't be altered, I started thinking about what could be applied and integrated... ways to achieve an effect I hadn't previously done.

Blah blah blah.

Enough talk! You know what I mean!

GET TO WORK!