Puppet Displays/Storage

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Hey guys how is everyone,

I have a major question for my fellow puppeteers...how do you Display or Store away your puppets after your done performing or filming...i have some in Boxes and some makeshift stands for some(ill take pics to share later)

any suggestions maybe?

crazy chris

Reaction score
i used to store each one on a tripod stand and plastic bag each one... but lately we just throw them all on a heap on the table....lol....each puppeteer has a pile... and we just try not to poke our eyes out with a stray arm rod...lol

cc

Puppetainer

Reaction score
As I continue to build my puppets I've had to come up with a solution to this issue as well. I decided to go with good old PVC. The one I ended up building holds 11 puppets and takes up only a small amount of floor space. Haven't yet covered them, but really could easily throw a tarp or blanket over them. I can post a photo if you're interested.

All that being said I love the simple beauty of the Crazy Chris plan!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
id love to see a pic puppetainer...mine are scattered between 2 boxes and then certain ones on random stands ive taken from other items( a paper towel holder, some Nintendo wii drum stands)

larz

Reaction score
Maybe one of these? Or at least use this idea to build your own. I would angle the posts up more and add a ball on the end of each post.

vinyl roll rack

-larz

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Displaying with about an 8 inch piece of 1x4 for the base with an 18 inch dowel sprouting up from the center. Cheap stand.

Storage - those large 90 quart plastic containers with lids. Total in one depends on the size of the puppets.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Yeah, I've used the large plastic bins as well. Though I prefer to mount the puppets on some sort of stand as the bins tend to smush the puppets a bit.

Anyway here is the stand I mentioned earlier. I built this entirely out of 3/4" PVC pipe, joints, and caps for a total cost of about $20. The empty poles at either end of the top row show what they look like under the puppets. I love PVC as it's cheap, easy to work with and doesn't even require any kind of glue or anything. That rack is completely pressure fitted together which means I can pretty easily take it apart to transport it too.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad83/Puppetainer/Puppet Gallery/Puppetstand.jpg

Hopefully you'll find something in all of the various responses offered here that you can use. Best of luck!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i have my bigger guys in the totes..i like your design puppetainer that kinda what i want on my wall

crazy chris

Reaction score
LOVE THAT RACK MARC!

that could really work for our theater!... might hit lowes this week...lol

cc

Puppetainer

Reaction score
It was SO easy to make! One trip to Home Depot, a hack saw and file and off you go! It would be pretty easy to modify it for wall mounting. Personally I needed the flexibility of a free standing rack. I can provide the dimensions of the various pieces that I cut for the rack shown if you'd like. I think I wrote those down somewhere. Of course you'll probably need to adjust so that your particular puppets will best fit on the rack.