1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Puppet Eyebrow Movement Mechanisms

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Froggy Fool, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

So I'm in the middle of making this puppet right now and I want him to have moving eyebrows, not moving eyes. I basically want the eyebrows to be separate from the eyes, but I don't really know how to do this simply. Does anyone have a simple mechanism model that I could use for my puppet?

Thanks in advance! :D

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've asked this before, and nobody seems to be willing to share a direct answer to that. I would have liked to have been able to achieve this myself.

3. Froggy Fool

Hmm. Okay. Well.

[​IMG]

4. D'Snowth

Supposedly Adam Kreutinger was going to do a video tutorial on eye brow mechs, or at least I thought I saw he said he was going to, but I don't think he said when that was going to be.

I did ask Terry Angus once (since I'm Facebook friends with him), but he said he never worked on a puppet with such a mech before, so he wouldn't know how to go about it either.

5. Froggy Fool

Yeah, I saw where Adam said that as well.

And that's weird how Terry Angus never worked on a puppet with eyebrow movement; I would've thought he would be the person to know that, working with Henson and all. :smirk:

Well, okay, I guess I'll just have to look around the Internet myself. I guess there's no quick and easy response to this question anyway.

6. MuppetOCD

MuppetOCD New Member

Hi Guys eyebrow mechs I've seen are:

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/561837-adam-savages-one-day-builds-making-puppet/

Go to 5:28 on the video the mech looks a bit like Berts monobrow.
    It doesn't show how to make it but if you freeze frame you could copy it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ashkent had photos of a eyebrow mech for his Animal but sadly the photos are no longer available maybe you could PM Ashkent.
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/the-rebuild-ive-wanted-to-do-for-two-years.56939/

-------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately these are the only 2 I have seen. Hope it helps though.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  7. Froggy Fool

Thanks! This helps a lot! :)

8. D'Snowth

I wish I saw that before I built a puppet with a unibrow recently. I figured it might have worked something like that, but I just wasn't sure, so I basically just anchored the brow at each end, without attaching the rest of it to the head, and basically just pinning it into whatever position.

Aside from that, one thing I would love is if I was able to have Steve D'Monster's eyebrow move, and not just up and down, but like have parts of it move independently, so like the outer corners of it could be brought down to make him look sad or dejected, or the middle of the brow come down to make him look mad or annoyed, or even have one half go down and the other go up for a quizzical/confused look.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  9. Froggy Fool

Ooh, that would be really cool! If only such mechanism blueprints were made public...

(But please, please make this happen; I totally support this! :excited:)

10. Bear Man

Bear Man Well-Known Member

This doesn’t have a pattern, but you should be able to work out what you need:

Froggy Fool likes this.
  11. Froggy Fool

Oh wow this is very in-depth! Thank you so much!

12. JeffJackson

JeffJackson Member

[​IMG] I Just released a pattern and Eyebrow mech pattern on my website if you are looking for something already made.. It's 49 and 10 shipping... Plus it will help you understand how it works so you can build your own for different patterns!

PuppetPrints.com

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Froggy Fool likes this.
  13. Froggy Fool

This is awesome! I'll definitely look into this!

14. JeffJackson

JeffJackson Member

And if anyone has any Mechs they would like me to release in the future just let me know.. I'm looking to make as many available as I can with a dragon with flapping wings, a rabbit with moving ears.. A zombie with an eye that pops out and pulls back in.. A snarl mech and more eye blink and eyebrow mech designs to fit in different patterns.. It takes a lot of trial and error but I love it more than making the puppets themselves!

Froggy Fool likes this.
  15. Froggy Fool

How about pupil dilations? Like on the Jabba the Hutt puppet?

JeffJackson likes this.
  16. JeffJackson

JeffJackson Member

17. Froggy Fool

I've seen that documentary before! It's really good, and I would recommend it to any Star Wars or even plain old puppetry fans on MC.

18. D'Snowth

Finally, a tutorial we've all been waiting for!

19. Froggy Fool

YAY! FINALLY! :excited: