PUPPET FABRIC - Help!!!

superglue

Reaction score
We have been searching high and low for good puppet fabric. I've found a couple people/companies who carry some fabric, and I've ordered some swatches. BUT, what I'm REALLY looking for is blacklight puppets. We've been shopping for blacklight puppets for our church's VBS for months, and we can't find a single one that meets our standards... so we've decided to make them. I've heard of UV dye for fabric, but does it really work? I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Our VBS is in two months, and we've got to get cracking!!! :smirk:

gastage

Reaction score
Hi Superglue,

Kathy from GA Stage....I've had this info for awhile so I don't know how current it might be. But it's worth a try. I know of 2 companies that carry fluorescent dyes....numbers are below

Aljo Manufacturing 212-226-2878
Pro Chemical & Dye 800-228-9393

www.puppetproductions.com has fluorescent spray paint but I don't know if that will work for what you're doing. Good Luck! :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I have not worked extensively with dyes, but I did professional black light theatre for almost five years and in my experience store-bought fluorescent fabrics and paints are vastly superior to dye. Aljo would be worth at least experimenting with though.

dramaqueen

Reaction score
For blacklight fleece/ fabric
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/oneway/

60" x 1 yard for $15.00. My 19" puppets use 1 1/2 yards of fabric, but I could probably squeeze a smaller puppet from a yard. I haven't worked with this fabric, but it is the only blacklight fabric I have found after an extensive web search. Good luck with VBS!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There a couple of stores here in Toronto that carry extensive stocks of flourescent material. Not sure how they handle long distance orders though. Private message me if you're interested and I'll try to look in to it over the weekend.

superglue

Reaction score
Thanks, all!

Thanks for all the feedback.

We've used the One Way fabric... great stuff, but getting a little tired of always being tied into yellow or orange. Wildfire has paints in ALL sorts of colors that fluoresce... why not fabric? Frustrating. :eek: We may be stuck with the yellow & orange and just do some fun stuff with hair & clothing.