1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Slackbot, May 4, 2013.

1. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Nope, this isn't Gobo. Although I can see the family resemblance. Hey...I bet I could reuse this pattern for Uncle Traveling Matt. He's a conehead too.

2. Slackbot

Think Lord of the Flies.

[​IMG]

AlittleMayhem, Kermieuk and Muppetlab like this.
  3. Slackbot

Progress is happening...

[​IMG]

The puppet itself wasn't that difficult. The costume, however, is proving to be a beast. I thought it'd be simple altering a pair of toddler shorts for him. Hah! He ain't shaped quite the same. The shirt he has on is a tester, sewn out of some scrap I had on hand; he'll get his yellow tee soon. I'll buy him some red sneakers as soon as I figure out what size he wears. (But don't he got cute tootsies?) As for the jacket... *whimper*

4. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Scooter! He looks good so far, and hopefully it won't be too hard to figure out how to handle the jacket and the rest of his outfit.

5. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

He looks great!

6. Slackbot

Thanks! I've had so many false starts with this guy. I made 8 or 9 foam skulls before I got the shape right. His first pair of glasses used two halves of a ping-pong ball as lenses. I had to make another pair using a smaller "dome" for the eyeballs, as I didn't want him to look like he had glaucoma. And next time I'll create a pattern for the pants from scratch rather than try to alter toddler pants!

7. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

He looks soooooo good, Slackbot :flirt: Love him! I truly can't wait to see that finished jacket, though--with all the perseverance you had to get through all of your other projects' respective signature outfits, I have complete faith that it'll be perfect :D

8. Slackbot

Perfect? Get outta here! I've learned not to expect perfection from myself 'cause I won't get it. But I can do pretty darn good, which is what I'm shooting for here. If I can make a puppet that looks just like Scooter to all but the really intense Muppet nerds I'll be happy.

At least I wanna do better than Flat-face Scooter.

[​IMG]

"Uh, Scooter, my eyes are down here."

Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  9. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Heh heh, all I can think of seeing this is Rizzo in MTI; 'We're gonna be dead.'

Anyway, puppet's looking great, chief! ;)

10. Slackbot

Scooter is coming along. Rather, his wardrobe is. Lookit that jacket! Is that utterly snazzed-up or what? Even if it's pinned together because I haven't put the fastens on yet.

[​IMG]

Still to do: shoes, socks, and a belt of course. Gonna resize his tongue and throat because I made them too small, as you can see in the head-on-a-stick photo. His pupils seem a bit big, so he doesn't look as alert as he should. I may redo his pants from scratch, but that'll come after I get everything else squared away.

11. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Scooter! He looks great in his jacket.

12. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

Wow, great job on that jacket! And the puppet too, for that matter.

13. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

A little late, but... Scooter!!! ;) He's in my top 10 favorite Muppets, and he looks great!

14. Slackbot

Thanks! I resized his pupils, tongue, and throat, and it's done wonders for his expression. Hopefully I'll have the snaps on his jacket tonight. And I even found his shoes while shopping today!! I bought them...and when I got them home I found they were too big. So, goin' out tomorrow to try to exchange them. Sigh.

I hope that when he's finished he'll look great enough to merit an arm-swing. ;)

15. so cool. The jacket looks top notch. what a great replica.

16. Slackbot

Thanks! He's neeearly there...

[​IMG]

Got the snaps on his jacket, and they snap and everything. Decorative and functional! I went into the cloth shop, looking for something I could fake up to look like the snaps, and then I discovered that snaps come in a package and are easy to attach. The worst part was painting them yellow, as I couldn't do that until they were attached to the jacket.

I redid his pupils and tongue & throat, and I think it really improves his expression. Not that you can see the inside of his mouth; for once I put a clip on the inside so he won't be gaping stupidly.

The shoes are not quite as oversized as they appear here; I was posing him on a dowel, and he slid down a little, compressing his legs. (That's also why he appears to have no neck.) Still, I'll be looking out for a smaller pair. He now has a belt; I searched in vain for a toddler-sized belt before realizing I could shorten a narrow adult belt. Derp!

Still to do:
    • Pad the inside of his head so the puppeteer's hand will not slide back
    • Permanently attach glasses
    • Attach head to body via sleeve

17. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

He looks absolutely fantastic so far! Well done! ;)

18. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

He looks marvelous! That jacket is super boss, as well! :super:

19. Slackbot

Thank you! I've posted the finished puppet in his own thread.

20. Slackbot

For every puppet I make, I build three to ten foam skulls before I get the shape just right. I don't give out my patterns, but since these are from my big bag o' reject skulls I don't feel the need to be so protective.

[​IMG]

Hopefully these will help others develop their own patterns.