Puppet Manipulation

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Some of you will know I am currently engaged with writing a book on puppet manipulation based on a series of interviews with leading puppeteers. later this week I am meeting with Nigel Plaskitt (Labyrinth, Spitting Image, Muppets Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Secret Life of Toys, Mopatop's Shop). Hoeever I am much more interested in speaking about his behind the scenes work (Sesame Street international productions, Spitting Image training workshops, Avenue Q consultancy and the new French Muppet Show).

I have plenty of questions prepared but wondered if there was anything you guys wanted to know (especially about the new French show)?

J

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is a really technical issue, but something I've never seen really addressed in a book...I'd love to hear Nigell talk about his use of reverse scan (mirror-image) monitors as opposed to straight scan (flipped image). Nigell is one of the few really, really great puppeteers I've seen who (reportedly) prefers to work reverse scan and it would be really interesting to hear what he thinks the pros and cons of each way of working is.

It would also be interesting to get his perspective on the differences between the performing styles of British and North American puppeteers, if there are any.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
You're right, he does perform with reerse scan monitors. Will bring it up tomorrow.

J

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I want to learn about it. This may be very useful for me a whole lot!:smile:

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
I had a very productive meeting with Nigel on friday. More details will appear on the blog site soon...(I still need to type some of it up from the dictaphone).