1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Puppet Patterns: What's A Fair Price?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Buck-Beaver, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Hi all,

In a few weeks I'm going to start selling a really good, generic pattern for making hand and rod puppets. The pattern is different than the PuppetProject patterns or other ones because this is more like Kermit in the sense that it doesn't require foam (although you can use foam if you want) and it's much, much more flexible and expressive.

You'll be able to purchase the patterns from a website as a secure downloadable PDF file. Basically you just pay online with PayPal and download the pattern and instructions instantly.

The question I wanted to throw out to the group is what does everyone think a good price for a pattern is? I know there was some discussion about the Projectpuppet patterns and some people thinking they were too expensive. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I wanted to get some feedback before launching my own.
  2. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

One way of looking at it would be to just work out how long it took to work out the pattern, put it online etc etc, and multiply it by your hourly rate.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I agree with Punch'n'Judy. I was always told to consider what you think is fair and double it (but, that's regarding commercial cartooning projects).

I have to say that I'm pleased with the Project Puppet patterns and price.

I also suggest folks to download that "Blue Boy Puppet Pattern" from that aol website for newbies to making puppets, too.

Let me know what you decide on.
  4. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

I dont know what a fair price would be but I have found on ebay that it is better to keep prices low and you end up selling more, things on ebay that start too high dont get the bids even if they end up higher than the starting price of another auction that has no bids.

Have you thought of selling these on ebay? and emailing them to people once they win the auction?
  5. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I have, not sure I would go that route. It seems like ebay is good for building awareness; puppets don't always sell for what they're worth but you can get a lot of commissions that way. I'm not sure how that would work with patterns. I might try auctioning one once they're ready as an experiment to see what happens. Thanks!
  6. Four Dollassss
  7. Fozzie Bear

Four Dollassss an' Fi'ty Centses! :)
  8. Foz Man!!!!! How come you are the onlyone who gets it???? LOL
  9. Fozzie Bear

I live in Memphis, TN. It's a second language, Zoot, my man! :)
  10. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

*holds up sign* Four Dollars and Fifty one cents.
  11. sugarbritchez

sugarbritchez Active Member

One Million Dollars (in Dr. Evil's Voice)

Sorry couldn't resist
  12. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Oh yea?! One Million and twenty one dollars. Hows that? HA! *folds arms*
  13. One.............One MILLION???????? Pish Posh!!!! I am Not cheep at allll....I Say Twenty MILLION plus Tax!!!!
  14. sugarbritchez

sugarbritchez Active Member

Gosh Darn TAX!!!!!
  15. Fozzie Bear

LOL! I think this went WAY off topic, gang.

So, what would be a good price for a pattern?

I'm unsure, honestly, until seeing what it is and what it makes. I've seen decent patterns range from $20-$50.
  16. Sorry......I still say 4 dollas
  17. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Well then I say 5 dollars.
  18. SIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I See your 5, and raise you ten!!!
  19. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

How about I rise it to $10.01
  20. Phantom

Phantom New Member

In all seriousness, Buck, if you want to market to the masses then $15-$25. Realistically, with your expertise, $35-50 is not unreasonable. However, I have found, beginning builders who need patterns that are simple in order to learn and develop their own art are reluctant to drop big bucks into a pattern. A more knowlegeable builder will pay more just to see your ideas and to see if they can adapt your ideas into theirs. (Of course, Jim warned against studying what someone else is doing too much, it stiffles the "figure it out" factor.)

Same thing with painting. Alot of budding artist start with water colors because they are cheap and easy to use compared to, say, oil paints.

I realize this is a non-answer, but best of luck in deciding.

Of course I say: "I'd buy that for a dollar!"