Puppet Patterns: What's A Fair Price?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi all,

In a few weeks I'm going to start selling a really good, generic pattern for making hand and rod puppets. The pattern is different than the PuppetProject patterns or other ones because this is more like Kermit in the sense that it doesn't require foam (although you can use foam if you want) and it's much, much more flexible and expressive.

You'll be able to purchase the patterns from a website as a secure downloadable PDF file. Basically you just pay online with PayPal and download the pattern and instructions instantly.

The question I wanted to throw out to the group is what does everyone think a good price for a pattern is? I know there was some discussion about the Projectpuppet patterns and some people thinking they were too expensive. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I wanted to get some feedback before launching my own.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
One way of looking at it would be to just work out how long it took to work out the pattern, put it online etc etc, and multiply it by your hourly rate.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree with Punch'n'Judy. I was always told to consider what you think is fair and double it (but, that's regarding commercial cartooning projects).

I have to say that I'm pleased with the Project Puppet patterns and price.

I also suggest folks to download that "Blue Boy Puppet Pattern" from that aol website for newbies to making puppets, too.

Let me know what you decide on.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I dont know what a fair price would be but I have found on ebay that it is better to keep prices low and you end up selling more, things on ebay that start too high dont get the bids even if they end up higher than the starting price of another auction that has no bids.

Have you thought of selling these on ebay? and emailing them to people once they win the auction?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I have, not sure I would go that route. It seems like ebay is good for building awareness; puppets don't always sell for what they're worth but you can get a lot of commissions that way. I'm not sure how that would work with patterns. I might try auctioning one once they're ready as an experiment to see what happens. Thanks!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I live in Memphis, TN. It's a second language, Zoot, my man! :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
*holds up sign* Four Dollars and Fifty one cents.