Puppet Show Background Help

Reaction score
Hello good people of Muppet Central! I discovered this about a week ago, I finished my Kermit replica from inspiration I read here, and I'm about to begin building Cookie Monster.

I'm starting to get resources pulled together to shoot a 3-5 minute short film featuring puppets. I've been playing around with lighting techniques to amplify some of the effects on screen, but now I'm trying to learn how the backgrounds work.

If anybody has any information or literature on this subject, I'd really appreciate it!

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Ase you asking what makes a good background? Or how to build full blown sets?

If its just a short video then maybe keep it simple. A plain background that wont contrast (colour and light wise) and wond take the attention away from the puppet and the performance. Many people use a plain curtain as a background to their videos.

Reaction score
Thanks. I played around with just a plain black curtain as a background and it seems to be working well on camera. I'm also interested with lighting and audio, if you have any tips for that?

If anybody else is wondering about the same thing, I found this helpful video on youtube that's a start: