Puppet Transport and Storage?

shtick

Reaction score
What is the best way to transport puppets? I tried a duffel bag, but it doesn't seem to be safe enough, it got banged around. Is some special position required for maximum safety?

How about puppet storage? I know the Muppet folks put them in file cabinets, but are there any alternatives for those of us with less space?

pjpiperhop

Reaction score
I use plastic storage tubs for transporting my puppets. I also have a puppet rack made out of a plywood base and PVC uprights that goes inside the tubs.
I store my puppets on the puppet rack on a shelf.
I suppose that you could store the puppets on the rack and in the plastic tubs. One word of warning about doing this is to make sure your puppets are completely dry when storing them in plastic tubs for a long period. The inside of puppets tends to get wet from sweat when performing.
I have also heard of puppeteers who store (and transport) their puppets in banker boxes.
Hope this helps.

biblebetty

Reaction score
I also use plastic storage tubs w/wheels on the bottom for easy transport. I also use plastic covers for the puppets with white material, like my singing sheep, snowman & some of my axtell puppets. And depending on the puppet (my talking bible puppet and Dennis the dust ball) has a special carrying case.

wes

Reaction score
Betty I use a Big suit case on wheels, it's a good investment for your puppets I bought a 4 ft by 2 ft from Tuesday Morings for about 60 bucks pretty cheap for its size. but the rolling rubbermaid containers work great too!

:smile: Oh Happy new year yall!!:smile:

Teenager's

Reaction score
I like the plastic tubs more than suit cases.......mainly because if I'm tired while transporting the puppets &/or want to protect them.......I can sit on the tub.....

.....and suit cases would probably squish.....

My tub is a large 4ft x 2ft and can fit 9-10 small puppets and 5 larger puppets

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I also use plastic tubs and store puppets inside them in clear plastic bags to keep them clean.

wes

Reaction score
Teenager's said:
I like the plastic tubs more than suit cases.......mainly because if I'm tired while transporting the puppets &/or want to protect them.......I can sit on the tub.....

.....and suit cases would probably squish.....

My tub is a large 4ft x 2ft and can fit 9-10 small puppets and 5 larger puppets
Tru Dat!!:wink:

Ruben

Reaction score
i used to store my puppets in sutecases but they would get squished if left in there to long. So I'm in the process of building storage cases for my puppet. they are farly simple to build all i do is cut a peice of plywood in two circle the diameter of the puppet and then i have a peice of pvc that the right size drilled full of holes these are for ventalation. This is atached by cuting a hole the diameter of the pvc in one plywood circle and attaching it with screws this makes the stand for the puppet. the cover is made with the other circle and a peice of cover sheet of plywood that is an eighth inch thick and flexable which i get free from the local lumber yard they through it away because all it is used for is to protect their loads of plywood but you could use anything strong and flexable enough. this cover sheet is rapped around the circle and i have a cilinder lid. the pupet goes on the stand and the lid is set over it fasened with any latch that i would work from the hardware store and you pick it up with a handle on the top or side it doesn't matter and you can even sit on it if you tired of carrying it.:big_grin:

wes

Reaction score
could you send me a picture of that or a drawing!! please!!:smile:

thats Cool:excited:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Jim's box

Well, back in the day, Jim Henson used to have some kind of a "black box" he kept the puppets in (during the Sam and Friends days, I think). Don't know if he built it himself or if he bought it somewhere.

Plastic boxes seem to be a pretty popular choice. Not that expensive either if you don't have much money to work with.

Convincing John