1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Puppeteer's Resources Links

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Thank you much :)
  2. Gonzo's Hobbit

I have another question. Does anyone know of a good book for making arm rod puppets and/or shaping foam? Basically I'm trying to find a book that deals with a little more complex puppets than sock and paper bag ones (which are the only books I can find so far)
  3. whtrom

whtrom New Member

I would buy a hot knife and a good razor blade, and LOTS OF FOAM and just test lots of stuff and have fun. You can also check out my website. I've been posting lots of tutorial on sheet foam puppet stuff. http://MilkRockets.com
  4. Gonzo's Hobbit

Cool, thanks, nice website. What I'm trying to find is something about the basic mechanics and structures just so I can go in the right direction. For example, you're blinking eye article was helpful in that it showed the overall basics of blinking eye sbut not how to make a particular puppet. Does that make sense? Thanks again for the advice and link.
  5. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Whtrom is right that the best way to learn is to just start building, make mistakes and learn from them. Don't worry about building your perfect or ideal puppet right away, just start making puppets.

To get started you might want to check out the puppet building videos from Playsoup. Their "Sketch to Show" videos would probably be very helpful - http://playsoup.com/store/video.htm

You could also check out some of Jay Tyson's puppet making video tutorials, which are available to purchase and download online - http://www.drpuppet.com/video_tutorial_page_1.html
  6. whtrom

whtrom New Member

7. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

Buying any of the Project Puppet kits will teach you more than just about any book I've been able to find. I especially recommend any of the Forma series. If you print out the instructions and put them in a three ring binder you've got yourself a book! The Foam Book is an excellent book that covers quite a bit of info on building in several different techniques.
    http://www.greysealpuppets.com/FoamB.html
  8. Gonzo's Hobbit

Coolio, thanks so much for the info guys, you're awesome
  9. WDW

WDW New Member

Hi...I'm new to the forum. I just started making half body puppets again and hope to make full bodied ones too.I made my first one a few years ago at a work shop. I'm looking right now for arm rods....whether to buy them or learn how to make them. I am hoping to sell my puppets. I bought the Foam Book and I'm constantly looking for ideas or tutorials for the eyes....cheeks ect. Any ideas/ links would be a great help.
  10. cflorio123

cflorio123 New Member

Foam questions

Hi all,
    what type of foam should i be looking for if trying to make a kermit the frog body?

Help is greatly appreciated.:):D:)
  11. Lilly Osaka

Lilly Osaka New Member

12. Gonzo's Hobbit

I would guess your basic half inch polyfoam?
  13. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

I would agree with Gonzo's Hobbit. 1/2" polyfoam would do the trick nicely.
  14. kyunkyua

kyunkyua Active Member

Hey guys, could you help me find a foam seller that ships from within Germany? Or at least Europe?
  15. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Member

KermieBaby47 likes this.
  16. Byn Always

Byn Always New Member

Wow! This is a great thread!! I'm going to be busy all day just following all of these links!
  17. Gonzo's Hobbit

18. MineKBMuppets

MineKBMuppets New Member

I don't know if anyone asked this question but, can I use hot glue instead of contact cement for making my puppet.
  19. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

That's what I use, but you need to be careful if you're using a high-temp glue gun. If you let it get too hot, then accidentally squeeze out too much, it'll melt the foam. Learned that the hard way.
  20. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

Wow! I've never had foam actually melt. I agree you do need to be careful though. I always wear cloth gloves and use a heat gun set to "cool" to quickly cool the seams as I go. Makes the process much faster. And since I've started wearing the gloves I don't get burned fingers anymore!