Puppetry AND Cartooning

Melonpool

Reaction score
First of all, sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I just got back from Comic-Con in San Diego and was struck with an idea...

How feasible would it be for some of you to make it out to San Diego for next year's convention? As puppeteer/cartoonists, we have a unique plot of ground to stand on, and it might be cool to see if we can get a panel discussion going. I know that people ask me about my puppets every year I exhibit. It'd be great advertising for our strips as well.

just an idea.

Steve

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Hmmm... Interesting thread. I actually started in the cartooning area and found that I enjoy puppets more. I've been teaching art for seven years and in the last few have actually introduced Puppetry as a unit (even do basic puppet making though not my strong suit). BTW I like the idea of doing something for the comic con, though unfortunately I only make it out to the chicago con. I thought it would be clever to film a documentary on the con using puppets as the interviewers (hey maybe someone wants to run with that idea). My brother who is a comic artist for a small publisher suggested taking stills of puppets and doing a comics with them.

Here is a comic I drew a few years back... not the best art work but thats one reason I decided to focus on puppetry http://members.aol.com/danlarabee/myhomepage/

Iokitek

Reaction score
Well actually I just doodle, I do not really have the skills to draw my own comis. But I am working on translating my own 2D concepts to 3D. It's hard though. Because I can't draw very well I go back and forth between sketching out 2D concepts and trying to work it out further in 3D.

Phantom

Reaction score
Actually, I find that puppetry mirrors life in that all things are puppety in a way. Or maybe it's deeper than that and that both cartooning and puppetry are just one cog in the realm of story telling which is in essence life itself. The memory of our existence to ourselves is the story our mind tells itself. The way others view us is the story that their minds tell them about us.

Okay...who left the lid off of the contact cement...

DannyRWW

Reaction score
A little metaphysical Phantom, but the point is there. I think what unites a lot of artists (whether it be in puppetry or cartooning) is that at our essence we wish to tell a story.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Melonpool said:
First of all, sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I just got back from Comic-Con in San Diego and was struck with an idea...

How feasible would it be for some of you to make it out to San Diego for next year's convention? As puppeteer/cartoonists, we have a unique plot of ground to stand on, and it might be cool to see if we can get a panel discussion going. I know that people ask me about my puppets every year I exhibit. It'd be great advertising for our strips as well.

just an idea.

Steve
STEVE! I told my buddy Lin to look for you out there at SDCC. He says, "Who?" I said, "You know, my pal that was in that movie for every bit of 3 seconds, but long enough to make me jump up and scream 'MELONPOOL!'" He says, "Oh, yeah!" I don't know if you two caught up or not.

I think it's a fantastic idea, man. I'm all about it!

So, what'll we do? Create a booth with a display wall (puppets, art exhibit), hands-on stuff (I can make some extra puppets for the heckuvit for dirty hands etc), and a store?

Also, we can coordinate the characters into the panel discussion, too. Give them their own Q&A session. That'll be funny. Or, coordinate some kind of puppetry presentation.
----------------------------

Out of curiosity, anybody else on these forums have a walk-around mascot suit of their characters yet, or is Muley the only one?

----------------------------

Finally, yeah, I think the connection between cartoonists/puppeteers is the necessity to create a new world with characters we all like and tell those characters' stories.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I'll be part of the Blank Label booth, but if we were there -- either as exhibitors or guests -- we could get a panel together. I know people ask me as much about the puppetry as they do about the cartooning.

On the drive back, I was thinking about some cool stuff we could do on the panel...

* Talk about the evolution of our art vs. the evolution of our puppetry.
* Talk about materials (puppetry as well as art)
* Talk about the benefits of doing both.

Then I was thinking it'd be cool to do a demonstration with our puppets -- maybe sing a round of Happiness Hotel or something. I'm sure that during the panel, the puppets would be getting plenty of attention.

Steve

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
I had a blast at San Diego Comic-Con this year, and would love to be a part of a cartooning/puppeteering ensemble. I've actually been thinking of bringing my puppets to cons and interviewing people, but haven't done it yet.

Oh, and my friend Joe Meyer has a fursuit of one of his comic book characters:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mister_f/95422.html

mummytomb

Reaction score
I'm working on a show now that will be primarily puppets but when I get to scenes that require multiple characters, It becomes Flash animation. This is how you gotta' do it when you're working alone.

Anybody wanna help?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Melonpool said:
I will be at ComicCon next year, this sounds like a great idea!

Incidently, I'm also looking to go halfsies on a booth if you or anyone else you know is seriously interested in that.