Puppetry AND Cartooning

Iokitek

Reaction score
DannyRWW said:
A little metaphysical Phantom, but the point is there. I think what unites a lot of artists (whether it be in puppetry or cartooning) is that at our essence we wish to tell a story.
That is typical actually because lately I've been changing my outlook on entertainment in general. I can enjoy alot more than I used to because I see alot more in it now. I used to be very critical and recently found out that I was making such a big fuss out of nothing sometimes that I didn't even allow myself to see the artistic value of some work others do.

A good example is that I don't really like certain music or paintings. but as soon as you take a peek behind the history of it all it actually makes more sense why certain people have such a big appreciation for it.

I think some people here might also even go down in the history books for linking cartoons with puppets. Even though in 50 years people might watch a movie with puppets or read the cartoon that goes with it and go "what the heck did people find so cool about this?" And I'm sitting in the old folks home going "those were the days" *cough* :stick_out_tongue: who knows what the future brings?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, does SDCC put their guests up in a hotel and free registration like some conventions do? Or do their guests have to pay their own way? How does that work with SDCC?

-----------------------
I do know Buck and Steve and I HAVE to get our characters together. I've been waiting on that for YEARS! Muley'll have a blast.

If we do a song, I have plenty of tracks and we can do some live vocals. I hate pre-recorded stuff to perform with.

Melonpool

Reaction score
SDCC pays almost nothing. You might be able to get in as a pro if you've had something printed. I've been able to get all my puppeteers in for the last few years claiming they were employees promoting my comic. A lot of it involves a little BS.

check around for 3 people willing to share a hotel with you. 4 people can usually share a hotel for about $100 a piece for 4 nights. Get your hotel early, though as the cheaper ones fill up fast.

If you want a booth, your best bet is Artist's Alley (free) or Small press (around $200). Tables ($800) are also a fairly-reasonable choice, though if you have nothing to sell, don;t bother getting a table. There's plenty to do as a guest.

Check out http://www.comic-con.org for more (accurate) info.

Steve

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Steve, do you know if they have announced dates for next year's Con? I didn't see anything on their website.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Incidently, I'm also looking to go halfsies on a booth if you or anyone else you know is seriously interested in that.
What about a room? Do you snore? :big_grin:

I figure if we all get together out there, we should be able to collect (between us all) enough money to get a booth situated to show our work (comics and puppets) and sell our wares.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out when the show is. I have some literature at home on it, but since I've already gotten booth space with others at this point, I won't be able to be in on the communal booth. The Tables are the best bet as far as I'm concerned. Lots of traffic and not a horrific price.

Steve

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Yeah, I do lots of cartooning. Not really strips, just panels. I cartooned for my school newspaper for 6 months last year doing two or three a week. I also like doing charicatures -- I just did one for someone's wedding invitations. Really I started out drawing and thought of puppetry as a combo of cartoons and my theatrical interests.

Lately I hae been brushing up a lot on my drawing skills, but I hope to do some more puppetry in the near future.

Phantom

Reaction score
I've alway drawn as long as I can remember, but I think I squandered most of any talent I might have had through disuse. I still draw, but I'm not consistent...I mean I could never do a strip where the characters are in all respects the same from one frame to the other. I get close but the differences are obvious to people other than just me. (I've never tried duplicating puppets) I guess this would improve with practice.

In the past months, I've been trying to learn caricaturing so that I can illustrate a childrens book that I have written. Its frustrating. It reminds me of the time Homer Simpson tried to build a robot after an unsuccesful bike assembly...

"Why must I suck?" -Homer

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Lately I hae been brushing up a lot on my drawing skills, but I hope to do some more puppetry in the near future.
I can't believe I totally went stupid! Melonpool, Buck, and Scary Larry all have to get together with Muley. That would be tops!!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
What about a room? Do you snore? :big_grin:

I figure if we all get together out there, we should be able to collect (between us all) enough money to get a booth situated to show our work (comics and puppets) and sell our wares.
I will be booking a table as soon as the forms become available, so if anyone wants in on that let me know. I'm sure we could all figure out a way to keep the cost of accommodations down too.