1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Puppetry Difficulties?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Ryan, Sep 17, 2002.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

What are the most difficult puppeteering tasks for you to achieve? Here's some of mine:

Keeping Eye Conact- This is a lot harder than it seems. ESPECIALLY when your puppet has bad mouth grips.Fortunatley, I don't really have this problem wih Candy.

Keeping my head down- Epecially when you have no monitor, this is really harsh, for me.

Reading scripts- I always flub my lines! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! ;0)

Voices- My voice range is....okay. I can do Frank Oz voices, but That's about it. Maybe a manly Janice......

So, any others for you guys out there?
    Maybe we can all help give tips and "tricks of the trade"! ;)
  2. Joggy

Joggy Member

Working with people who never worked with puppets and never will give a d^mn about working with puppets. For instance, camera people who seem to think people won't notice the puppeteer when his head, neck, shoulders AND arms are in view. UGH.
  3. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

We just ran a ton of auditions up here with a lot of VERY experienced puppeteers and a lot of not so experienced puppeteers and the difference was amazingly apparent. Some of the biggest problems with the less experienced people were:

Eye Focus - This is usually a HUGE problem when two puppets are in a scene together, even if one puppeteer can maintain proper eye focus the other can't.

Lip Sync - This is a surprisingly big problem, even among people who understand lip sync technique - I find I tend to "bite-off" words if I haven't been puppeteering for awhile - especially if I take my eyes off the monitor.

Memorizing lines - Puppeteers are notoriously lazy when it comes to this (and often get handed the scripts right before they go on anyways) and hey, I'm like the king of non-memorizing, but you really should be in the practice of learning lines. I always say, do as I say, not as I do...

As for tips, the best article on TV/video puppeteering I've found is

Introduction to Video Puppetry: Manipulation for the Camera by Leo Brodie. Also see Leo's article Setting Up a Practice Monitor.