Puppetry on Television, why we need Muppets!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
These are just my opionions, so please don't hate me for them. I want to know what others think too!
The current state of pupperty on television is awful (PBS is not included in thia statement). It's better than it was a few years ago, when the only puppet on tv was Snuggle, but what we get now is Crank Yankers. Don't get me wrong, I love fart jokes, Mallrats in one of my favorite flicks. And Greg the Bunny cracked me up, but that's as good as gone now. People keep telling me CY is funny, then I ask them, "Didn't you ever crank call people?" The answer is almost aways yes. That show is something any one with puppets can do (no offence to any of the puppeteers).
That's it though. Crank Yankers, soon to be over Greg, Alf ads, and Muppet's at Denny's.

There is an up side.
Fox is promising a new Muppets show, Alf may soon have a new show, and I've heard rumours of other networks working on puppet programing, if the Muppets do well. And, yes, CY getting picked up for more episodes is good too. It keeps good puppeteers working.

Another upside is the DVD player.
Besides all the Muppet stuff out there, we can get our hands on Howdy Doody, the Thunderbirds, and even Sifil and Olly! I love those guys!
Plus Greg the Bunny and Alf are on there way!

What do you think?

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
hit the nail right on the head. CY is looking to be C-R-A-P-P-Y! I personally would not have let this show happen. It is an insult to the Muppets and Comedy Central can kiss the CY's goodbye. I personally like Beat the Geeks because it's original. CY is not original. It is a Muppet knock off that should be punished next season. In perspective, it is just Sesame Street crank-ified. :mad:

radionate

Reaction score
What about the puppets from Comedy Central's TV Funhouse? I thought that show was really funny. Yeah it was crass, yeah it was crude, and yeah it was overtly dirty, sick, and twisted, BUT I LOVED IT. If you could call them puppets, do people think it was a good thing or a bad thing for puppetry on television wise? IMHO, I think it was a good thing, as it was showing that puppets really aren't just fodder for kids.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Even though I don't like CY that much, I do have to applaude them for being one of the few adult puppet shows I've seen that doesn't use the behind-the-seanes-at-a-kids-show format.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to the new ALF episodes!! I LOOOOVE ALF soo much, I always snuggle my ALF plushie whenever I watch his shows (religeously, lol)

Can't wait to see the new Muppet show, too :smile: Hope they have MahnaMahna! *LoL* :big_grin:

As for CY, never seen a show of it yet. I don't think they have it here in Canada, and just NOW we'll be getting to see the Osbourns...see, I don't like living in Canada...:frown: Oh well, I still see Greg the Bunny late late at night on Channel 3..:smile: So that's good!

Salmoto

Reaction score
Hey, Canada's got alot of things there that I wish we had over here: Mr. Bean, Ketchup flavored potato chips, Barenaked Ladies on the radio, free healthcare, canada rules!

radionate

Reaction score
We have BNL on the radio in the states. Shoot, they are one of my favorite bands, especially live. I play them all the time on my station. Did at my old station too.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Radionate,
I totally forgot about TV Funhouse! I thought it was funny the first few times I saw it, but got bored with it quick. Is it still on?

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jivepuppet
Radionate,
I totally forgot about TV Funhouse! I thought it was funny the first few times I saw it, but got bored with it quick. Is it still on?
I actually don't think it's on anymore. It's a shame to me. Some of the episodes were sooooooooooo innappropriate, but they mad me laugh till I cried anyway. And of course the animated shorts in between were awsome as well.

Sigh, maybe I'll start a petition to bring back the TV FunHouse!