Puppetry

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
HIYA!!

Hey, was wondering how many people (besides myself) we have around here who does puppetry rather frequently (performance or building or both? professional or for fun?).

Later on!
FOZ

matleo

Reaction score
foz

hey Foz,
Yeah, I'm a professional puppeteer ( i hitnk you new that though) . Got a BFA in it and everything! No kidding! Work for Paper Moon Marionette theater as well as run my own company, Lionheart Puppet Co. I also do a lot of freelance building work and am treasurer for the Garden State Guild of Puppetry. You should check out my website, www.lionheartpuppets.com We have a lot of changes ot make to it still, but the basic idea is there.

--Matt

Bovegard

Reaction score
Hi

Hi,

I do Puppetering to. I have my own puppet group at my church.

I use Rod arm puppets.

What kind of puppets do you use???

:smile: First time I've been on this Forum.

Bye for now,

Bovegard

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Matleo-
Hiya, I don't think I did know all that about you! That's pretty kewl, a BFA and everything!! KEWL! I have a BSA according to my friends, but we won't discuss that. I'm going to check out your webby site in a few.

I just realized that the Mid-South Cartoonists Association website hasn't been updated in a few months, but the Photo Gallery has, and that's where all my puppets are, including the puppet I made of the elusive Dr. Lovemonkey for that pal o' mine who does that comic strip at Rock 103's website: www.rock103.com/crew/funnypages (not for the faint of heart). The cartoon versions of my puppets are there as well under the Muley icon.

BTW, if you can use marionette puppets, man, you're my hero! I get all tangled up in the strings and just stink at it! Anyhow, if you check the pics you can see what kind of puppets I'm used to performing.

Bovegard-
I use the same kind of puppets, plus live hand puppets. It's great fun and I love it. If you go to www.midsouthcartoonists.com and check all the albums in the Photo Gallery, you'll see my puppets and costumes there, as well as figure out that Muley is my main character as he's EVERYWHERE!!

Later on!
De FOZ

matleo

Reaction score
foz

Yeah, tangles happen, but you get used tot hem...most of them. ou learn how to work with it and go with the flow. Mainly I like using rod puppets though and doing mask work. I love doin mask work I do a lot of work with hand puppets too. I've done some Muppet-style puppets. Just built some crude shadow puppets last night. I'm hoping to update my site soon, I should have some real cool stuff to put on there (Emporer's New Clothes, Little Red Hen, and The Hobbit) I'll let everybody know abotu it, when and if it ever gets the update. I've seen your work a few times (pics, that is) I like it. you look like you have a lot of fun and you've had some good opportunities. Talk to you later.

--Matt

BTW: I think I just settled on my avatar. You may have noticed it flipping back and forthe the last few days. What do you think?

Iggy35

Reaction score
I've made a fair few puppets in my time and have puppeteered since around the age of 6! (For fun & video mainly)

You know, I always used to think the following: The puppets I made weren't profesional or even good, because I made them from crap I found lying around the house.

Then years later I think, heck..isn't that what they do at Henson?? I've used coke bottles, destroyed towels, made eyes from bathroom sealant, etc. I've never shopped for Antron fleece or Polyfoam, but still consider myself quite a good puppet builder. Plus, having to find alternatives keeps the imagination working overtime! :smile:

IGGY35

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Re: foz

Groovy new avontrol Matt!! Or, whatever that thing is called. I'm goin' back to sleep, man, nobody's landed.

If we have another MuppetFest Muppet Central Get-Together, we need to make it a "Bring Your Puppet" night and everyone attending brings their puppet. Muley would enjoy that, also meeting other puppets that he hasn't met before.

The only problem is that Muley starts hollering out, "Let me try it! Let me try it!"

He doesn't understand puppetry that well yet, tho.

FOZ de Kev

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Kev:

If we have another MuppetFest Muppet Central Get-Together, we need to make it a "Bring Your Puppet" night and everyone attending brings their puppet.
Great idea Kev! Will Kermit heads be allowed again?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Cindy--

Originally posted by Cindy Chapman
Great idea Kev! Will Kermit heads be allowed again?
Ummm...uh, ummm. I dunno. Kermit heads by itself? That might be a bit too much for Muley to handle. I'll let you have the idea and run with it.

Muley has his little Kermit toy he plays with, and Buford the Dog has an orange puppet he calls Orangey in his own puppet shows (that's fun, performing your puppet performing his own puppet show)! I dunno, maybe if it's homemade.

Muppet Central Puppet Meeting at MuppetFest2 should be at a place where there's non-greasy foods, and folks should bring their own HOMEMADE puppets methinks...and if it turns out to be a homemade Kermit or something, cool!

But, hopefully none that's been beheaded. The Mule would get some indigestion over that. And do you know what it's like to get indigestion from raisin bran?? Ew.

FOZ

DrGoshposh

Reaction score
Hiya Foz,

I too am a puppeteer, and hope to one day do it professionally. I have designed and built several characters. Some friends and I were planning to do a public access show, but they all jumped ship (they have some issues with motivation).

I now plan to do a show all by myself (I have once before done a video with several characters where I shot each one individually, and then edited it together to look like they were all talking to each other. It turned out pretty good, but I think it could be really good with practice.). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I love the pictures of Muley, by the way. I like his design very much.

Scott